Rees 33, 89, Panayiotou 56

POOR Weymouth were outplayed as Aldershot Town recorded a dominant 3-0 win over the Terras at the Bob Lucas Stadium.

The Terras were off par from the outset and it came as no surprise when Josh Rees headed Aldershot into a first-half lead.

Ethan Ross had made numerous saves to keep it at 1-0 but was powerless to stop Harry Panayiotou’s free header from nestling in the back of the net 10 minutes into the second half.

And a calamity at the back epitomised Weymouth’s night as Rees tapped home into an empty net to complete the Terras’ first home defeat since a 1-0 loss to Notts County in late January.

Weymouth boss Brian Stock made three changes to the side that began the 2-1 loss to Torquay on Saturday.

Ben Thomson, Andy Robinson and Dom Revan were replaced by Brennan Camp, Pierre Fonkeu and Jordan Ngalo.

Thomson and Robinson dropped to the bench, while there was no place in the matchday squad for Aston Villa loanee Revan.

The centre-back received treatment for a head injury and possible concussion during the Torquay loss and went back to the Villains for further assessment.

On the bench, Josh Wakefield, Cameron Murray and Joan Luque retained their places on the bench where they were joined by Robinson and Thomson.

For the Shots, Chike Kandi returned to the starting XI, while there was also a call-up to the matchday selection for Craig Tanner, who made the bench.

There was also no place in the squad for Scotland and former Leeds striker Ross McCormack.

Weymouth had won five of their past seven league games at home but some sloppy play characterised an ugly half for the Terras.

Stock elected for a 5-3-2 formation but too often his side were caught in possession with heavy touches as Aldershot broke at pace with an energetic and hungry attacking unit.

Panayiotou wasted a glorious chance in the third minute and Shadrach Ogie fired over as Aldershot dominated.

Toby Edser then tore Brennan Camp to shreds on the left before cutting inside and curling just wide of the far post.

When Weymouth did show sharpness in midfield, their play broke down too easily.

Calvin Brooks won the ball and drove forward to find Ollie Harfield, only for his cross to drift behind.

At the other end, Ethan Ross atoned for poor distribution when he tipped Joel Nouble’s drive over.

Aldershot keeper Mitch Walker was a complete spectator until a Sean Shields cross caused him to drop the ball onto his head before spinning round in confusion and claiming safely.

Moments after Ross saved well from Panayiotou, Aldershot took the lead when Nouble’s measured cross picked out Rees to flick a delightful header into the corner.

Weymouth’s quality in possession worsened as the half wore on, with heavy touches and casual passes tainting their play before the break.

Unsurprisingly, Stock made two changes as stand-in captain Jake McCarthy and Ben Morgan, who sustained a knee knock, were hooked for Thomson and Wakefield.

Weymouth improved immediately as Shields bore down on goal, however his hesitance in pulling the trigger halted the move.

Thomson was lively after his introduction but Aldershot grabbed a killer second when Nouble was afforded space to cross for the unmarked Panayiotou to head home from 12 yards.

Two minutes later, Ross was called upon to deny Panayiotou again for the first of three rapid saves as Weymouth wobbled.

Thomson was booked for an aerial foul before Brooks needed to make a late block to snuff out a good opening for Edser.

Weymouth were now committing numbers forward but Tanner, one of three late Aldershot substitutes, spurned two presentable chances as the gaps opened up

Aldershot duly finished the Terras off with a merited third after Ross made a superb save following a defensive mix-up, but the loose ball squirmed for Rees to apply a simple finish six yards out.

Rees nearly grabbed his hat-trick with a stunning free-kick but was desperately unlucky to see his effort crash off the bar as Aldershot ended as strongly as they started.

Terras: Ross, Camp, Morgan (Wakefield 46), Mensah, Harfield, McCarthy (Thomson 46), Ngalo (Robinson 87), Brooks, Fonkeu, Shields, Dallas. Subs not used: Murray, Luque.

Aldershot: Walker, Fowler, Sendles-White, Lyons-Foster, Rees, Kandi (Tanner 75), Panayiotou (Miller 85), Nouble, Anderson, Edser (Kinsella 81), Ogie. Subs not used: Rowe, Hinds.

Referee: James Durkin