Cooper 31, Ashford 47


Dallas 44, 62, McCarthy 89, Shields 90+5

WEYMOUTH collected three points in dramatic style as a dominant away performance at Woking resulted in a 4-2 Vanarama National League victory.

Woking, who offered little in attack, twice led against the run of play as Charlie Cooper’s free-kick and Sam Ashford’s deflected strike sandwiched an Andy Dallas tap-in.

Dallas notched his brace on the hour before Jake McCarthy’s stunning 89th-minute volley and Sean Shields’ counter-attacking fourth broke an injury-hit Woking’s resistance.

READ MORE: Woking 2-4 Weymouth - how it happened

The victory handed a second away win in five days to Terras’ boss Brian Stock, who made just one change after the 1-0 triumph at Maidenhead in midweek.

Scottish striker Dallas returned from injury to the starting line-up at the expense of Ben Thomson (groin), who was absent from the squad entirely.

The only other alteration from the 16 that travelled to Maidenhead came as Jack Dickson was recalled from flexi furlough to replace goalkeeper Gerard Benfield.

Calvin Brooks was in line to go between the sticks if there was an injury or red card for keeper Ethan Ross.

After a cagey start, birthday boy Cooper gave Weymouth an early warning of his capabilities from set-pieces when sending a dipping free-kick over the bar.

Woking, without 10 injured players, were denied a big penalty shout as Paul Hodges claimed a push in the back, although referee Tom Bishop was unmoved.

Weymouth wrestled back control of the contest thereafter as skipper McCarthy guided a header wide from Shields’ corner.

Shields nearly created the opening goal in the 19th minute when racing onto Ollie Harfield’s interception and crossing for Brooks, who was unable to convert an awkward ball.

Shields was proving a menace with his deliveries into the box and Weymouth failed to capitalise on another quality delivery when Brooks and Brennan Camp collided in mid-air.

McCarthy was next to benefit from Shields’ creativity, picking up a square ball 30 yards out and forcing Craig Ross into a diving save despite slipping on contact.

Weymouth’s relentless pressure continued when Ben Worman’s shot was parried by Craig Ross, with Dallas and Camp each seeing follow-ups smothered.

Woking were goal-shy until a wayward pass let Sam Ashford in, the midfielder then buying a cheap foul from Mensah which warranted a caution.

The Cards wanted a red card but Cooper’s brilliant curling free-kick into the left-hand corner gave his side a sneaky lead.

Dorset Echo: Charlie Cooper's free-kick gave Woking the lead Picture: MARK PROBINCharlie Cooper's free-kick gave Woking the lead Picture: MARK PROBIN

Woking had won seven of the eight games in which they had gone ahead, but Weymouth responded brightly when Andy Robinson’s drilled shot produced a fabulous full-stretch save from Craig Ross.

But two minutes from the break Weymouth were deservedly level as Worman found Shields whose accurate drag back enabled Dallas to sweep home with ease.

Dorset Echo: Andy Dallas equalised for Weymouth just before half-time Picture: MARK PROBINAndy Dallas equalised for Weymouth just before half-time Picture: MARK PROBIN

Weymouth nearly took the lead in stoppage-time when McCarthy won and took a deflected free-kick, only for Craig Ross to fly to his left with a spectacular save.

The Terras looked to retain their momentum in the second half but a smash and grab Woking regained the lead in the 47th minute.

Hodges supplied Ashford on the left of the box and his deflected effort bobbled over the outstretched leg of Ethan Ross for 2-1.

Woking’s only two shots on target had yielded two goals but the hosts were dealt a blow when ex-Weymouth man Ben Gerring came off injured for Joe Leslie.

Weymouth looked to take advantage with Woking now having just one recognised centre-back on the pitch, Josh McQuoid coming on for Brooks with 33 minutes to go.

And McQuoid’s influence shone in the 62nd minute when his cross from a quickly-taken corner found Dallas who hooked an improvised flick beyond Craig Ross from six yards out for his 10th Weymouth goal.

Stock replaced Dallas, on his first game back from injury, with Cameron Murray in the 70th minute, McQuoid then moving up top.

The outstanding Shields shot wide from distance and McCarthy had an effort deflected behind for a corner as Woking defended for their lives, the Cards also clearing two free-kicks in advanced positions late on.

However, Weymouth were not to be denied as Worman showed superb vision to chip a ball through for McCarthy, the midfielder waiting for the ball to drop over his shoulder before executing a delicious low volley in the 89th minute for 3-2.

Dorset Echo: Jake McCarthy, left, scored a stunning volley late on Picture: MARK PROBINJake McCarthy, left, scored a stunning volley late on Picture: MARK PROBIN

As Woking chased an equaliser, Weymouth sealed the points in the 95th minute as Murray released McQuoid on the right.

The Terras’ skipper raced forward and picked out the unmarked Shields to plant a firm low shot past Craig Ross as Weymouth recorded back-to-back away league wins for the first time this season.

Dorset Echo: Sean Shields scored in the 95th minute to seal all three points Picture: MARK PROBINSean Shields scored in the 95th minute to seal all three points Picture: MARK PROBIN

Woking: C Ross, Cooper, Gerring (Leslie 53), Diarra, Ferdinand, Freeman, Lofthouse, Z Robinson, Hamblin, Ashford (Dalby 73) Hodges (Saied 85). Subs not used: Evans, Smith.

Terras: E Ross, Camp, McCarthy, Morgan, A Robinson, Brooks (McQuoid 57), Dallas (Murray 70), Mensah, Harfield, Worman (Ngalo 90+2), Shields. Subs not used: Dickson, Fonkeu.

Referee: Tom Bishop