Hudlin 30, Rooney 63


McQuoid 9

WEYMOUTH saw a 1-0 lead overturned at a soggy Solihull Moors as Kyle Hudlin and Adam Rooney goals helped the hosts record a 2-1 win.

Josh McQuoid had given Weymouth a ninth-minute advantage in this Vanarama National League encounter.

But Ethan Ross had a clearance charged down and slotted home by Hudlin before sub Rooney powered a header in-off the Lincoln loanee keeper to complete the turnaround.

Weymouth's exertions in a 2-0 loss to Sutton United on Saturday looked to catch up with them as boss Brian Stock made one change to the starting XI.

READ MORE: Solihull Moors 2-1 Weymouth - how it happened

Cambridge United loanee Ben Worman dropped to the bench, with defender Josh Leslie-Smith coming in.

Centre-back Ben Morgan (hamstring) and striker Ben Thomson (groin) missed out with injury.

Solihull included forward Hudlin, at 6ft 9in the tallest outfield player in England’s top five tiers.

Former Aberdeen striker Rooney and ex-Birmingham City midfielder Stephen Gleeson made the bench.

Weymouth began with a nervy moment for Ross as Leslie-Smith’s casual backpass allowed the pressing Hudlin to hurry the keeper into shovelling the ball out for a throw.

Their early nerves were eased in the ninth minute, however.

Ollie Harfield’s booming long ball down the left touchline enabled Andy Dallas to run into space and the Scot then picked out Sean Shields.

With plenty of work to do, Shields’ driven low ball across the area fell perfectly for the unmarked McQuoid to tap home from two yards for his eighth goal of the season.

Dorset Echo: Josh McQuoid, left, opened the scoring for Weymouth Picture: MARK PROBINJosh McQuoid, left, opened the scoring for Weymouth Picture: MARK PROBIN

Weymouth continued to press and had Solihull panicked as relentless tackling near the Moors area set up a blocked shot for Andy Robinson before Dallas was fouled on the D.

Jake McCarthy stepped up for the free-kick but his powerful shot skidded into the base of the wall as rain began to hammer down.

Moors’ pitch looked increasingly heavy under the deluge, an impression illustrated when Alex Addai’s 20-yard shot held up on its way to Ross.

Jordan Cranston was then booked for the second of two fouls on Calvin Brooks, after naughtily appearing to drag his studs over the defender-turned-winger during the first incident.

Solihull had been second best in the first 30 minutes but were gifted an equaliser.

Ross pinged a clearance against Hudlin, the ball tangling in the lanky striker’s feet and away.

Hudlin then fell on the keeper and reacted quickest to tuck home from a tight angle for 1-1.

Justin Donawa curled over for Moors before the winger’s headed knock down picked out Tyrone Williams whose good connection on the volley was straight at Ross.

Addai ran through on goal only to bend his shot wide of the far angle as Weymouth survived a second golden chance in 60 seconds.

Weymouth ended the half strongly as Hudlin awkwardly poked a corner over his own bar.

Kicking with the elements in the second half, Moors threatened two minutes in when Addai coasted past three defenders only to scoop over inside the box.

Ross then fully redeemed himself with a superb low block to deny Hudlin, who appeared to injure himself and was subbed off for Rooney.

Callum Maycock tested Ross and the Terras survived four successive corners before caving under the pressure in the 63rd minute.

Dorset Echo: Ethan Ross, centre right, made a number of good saves after his error Picture: MARK PROBINEthan Ross, centre right, made a number of good saves after his error Picture: MARK PROBIN

Cranston raided down the left and his searching cross was headed in off the post by the unmarked Rooney via the chest of Ross for a deserved second.

Weymouth responded with a rare second-half attack, McQuoid escaping the press on the left before Shields’ cross looped up for Solihull keeper Ryan Boot to catch.

Stock made a double change, bringing off Brooks and Leslie-Smith for Pierre Fonkeu and Worman.

Fonkeu’s first involvement won Weymouth a corner which thudded off the back of Rooney’s head and away to safety.

Weymouth tried to build up a head of steam in their quest for an equaliser but looked slightly lethargic.

It took a 94th-minute free-kick to worry Solihull as Shields was barged over and, although Moors did not cleanly deal with his delivery, the hosts eventually smuggled the ball out of the danger zone to record a merited win.

Weymouth stayed 18th despite a 22nd league loss of the season.

Solihull: Boot, Williams, Cranston, Storer, Maycock, Piggott, Ball, Donawa, Hudlin (Rooney 56), Addai (Archer 86), Thompson. Subs not used: Gleeson, Hancox, Cameron.

Terras: Ross, Camp, McCarthy, McQuoid, Leslie-Smith (Worman 74), Robinson (Murray 88), Brooks (Fonkeu 74), Dallas, Mensah, Harfield, Shields. Subs not used: Benfield, Ngalo.

Referee: Simon Mather