McCarthy 64


Marsh 22, Smith 33, Whitely 85

WEYMOUTH slipped to a 3-1 defeat against Boreham Wood as 545 fans returned to the Bob Lucas Stadium for the final time this season.

Wood went 2-0 up at the break thanks to brilliant Tyrone Marsh and Kane Smith goals, the latter cracking in off the far post.

Jake McCarthy’s bullet header gave Weymouth hope but the visitors took all three points as Corey Whitely’s low finish evaded the dive of Ethan Ross.

Weymouth boss Brian Stock made just one change to the starting line-up which began the 2-1 win over Altrincham on Saturday.

Sean Shields – named Players’ Player of the Season prior to kick-off – was absent from the squad completely, replaced by McCarthy.

There was also just one change to the subs' bench as goalkeeper Gerard Benfield came in to take the place vacated by McCarthy.

Meanwhile, Wood were able to name just four substitutes for the contest.

Weymouth’s other awards went to Ross, the Supporters’ Player of the Season and Josh McQuoid, named Manager’s Player of the Season.

With the socially-distanced crowd creating a much-missed buzz around the Bob Lucas Stadium, Weymouth were slow to warm to the task.

Boreham Wood marshalled Weymouth’s threats with authority in the opening stages, putting in some hefty tackles and testing the patience of referee Scott Jackson.

Danger man Kabongo Tshimanga, scorer of the winning goal between these sides in February, went close with a deflected shot in the third minute before Jamal Fyfield shot over from the corner.

As Wood imposed themselves, clear fouls on Weymouth’s Calvin Brooks, Andy Robinson and Andy Dallas went unpunished before Terras’ skipper McQuoid was booked for a foul on Danny Woodards.

Dorset Echo: Cameron Murray, left, was flattened by a heavy Boreham Wood tackle Picture: MARK PROBIN Cameron Murray, left, was flattened by a heavy Boreham Wood tackle Picture: MARK PROBIN

However, the visitors finally got the goal their superiority merited in the 22nd minute.

Fyfield’s high ball caught Weymouth’s defence flag-watching and Tshimanga raced through before holding the ball up and supplying Marsh to find the top corner with a well-controlled shot.

The goal forced Weymouth to reshuffle to a 4-5-1 formation with McCarthy pushed further forward into midfield.

McCarthy instantly began upping Weymouth’s tempo but Wood looked dangerous on the counter as Tshimanga breezed past Brennan Camp before a heavy touch was claimed by Ross.

And the away side duly doubled their lead with a stunning strike from Smith, who drilled a sweet shot from a tight angle in off the far post and in past a helpless Ross.

Weymouth replied with a stinging Andy Robinson drive, forcing the first save out of Wood keeper Nathan Ashmore.

Yet the well-organised visitors were content to soak up the Weymouth possession and break rapidly, with the hosts badly missing creativity in midfield.

Much-needed impetus was produced by Cameron Murray four minutes into the second half as his jinking run and ball for Andy Dallas set the Scot free.

Although seeing a first shot blocked by Ashmore, Dallas then fizzed his second strike just wide of the far post as Weymouth instantly improved on the first half.

Wood responded when Fyfield headed over from a Corey Whitely corner but Weymouth came back again, Ben Worman shooting just wide from 18 yards.

Referee Jackson finally cautioned Marsh and Tshimanga for obvious fouls on Murray and Dallas - the second proving costly.

After a long delay, Worman’s delivery was perfect for McCarthy to power home a header from 12 yards, bringing a huge roar from the crowd.

Dorset Echo: Jake McCarthy, centre, scored to put Weymouth back in the game Picture: MARK PROBINJake McCarthy, centre, scored to put Weymouth back in the game Picture: MARK PROBIN

Suddenly, Weymouth were ticking as a superb move started by a raking McCarthy ball culminated in Worman finding Dallas whose poke at goal was headed clear by the ubiquitous Fyfield.

Dallas went close again with 60 seconds, flicking a header at Ashmore from 12 yards before McQuoid headed over another half-chance.

Stock brought off Murray and Worman for Pierre Fonkeu and Jack Dickson as Weymouth chased the game in the final 15 minutes.

Dorset Echo: Andy Dallas, right, twice went close late on for Weymouth Picture: MARK PROBINAndy Dallas, right, twice went close late on for Weymouth Picture: MARK PROBIN

After a plague of time-wasting tactics from Wood, including two players tying their shoelaces at the same time, the visitors’ experience told with a killer third.

Whitely was played in and showed lethal finishing, rifling a sweet shot into the bottom-right corner to hand Wood all three points.

A late flare-up after a Camp overhead-kick came close to a defender’s head illustrated Weymouth's frustration as the hosts fell to a fifth straight league defeat in a match open to home fans this season.

Terras: Ross, Camp, McCarthy, McQuoid, Robinson, Brooks (Leslie-Smith 89) Dallas, Mensah, Murray (Fonkeu 74), Harfield, Worman (Dickson 79). Subs not used: Benfield, Ngalo.

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Woodards, Ricketts, Stephens, Mafuta, Tshimanga, Murtagh, Whitely, Fyfield, Smith, Marsh. Subs not used: Green, Ilesanmi, Pearce, Jallow.

Referee: Scott Jackson

Attendance: 545