K Smith 9, Marsh 40

WEYMOUTH fell to their first opening-day defeat since a 2017 loss to St Ives as Boreham Wood claimed a 2-0 win in the Vanarama National League.

Wood silenced the Bob Lucas Stadium crowd with a Kane Smith scorcher in the ninth minute.

As Weymouth struggled to get into the game, Tyrone Marsh lobbed home keeper Ross Fitzsimons.

The Terras improved in the second half but Wood carried more threat as Scott Boden hit the bar.

Sub Tom Bearwish went close as Weymouth rallied late on, but the damage had long been done.

Calling for a performance to make the returning home fans proud in his pre-match interview, Weymouth manager Brian Stock named six debutants in his opening starting line-up of the campaign.

READ MORE: Weymouth 0-2 Boreham Wood - how it happened

Goalkeeper Ross Fitzsimons, defenders Tyler Cordner and Taofiq Olomowewe, midfielder Omar Mussa and attackers Brandon Goodship - making a second debut - and Brad Ash were the newcomers.

Stock also neglected to name a goalkeeper on the bench, although youngster Harrison Bruton was helping Fitzsimons warm up.

That meant defender Calvin Brooks was set to be used as an emergency should Fitzsimons see red or sustain injury.

Needing a good start, Weymouth looked jittery in front of a sizeable home crowd.

Boreham Wood began much more brightly, with Jacob Mendy raiding down the left to pick out Marsh whose shot was blocked by Ollie Harfield.

Weymouth tried an identical move down the left with Brad Ash but his cross for Brandon Goodship was not powerful enough.

Power was no issue for Wood in the ninth minute, though. A long ball forward was headed clear by Tyler Cordner but the onrushing Kane Smith unleashed a beautiful volley into the right corner from almost 30 yards.

Weymouth looked lacklustre and a number of crosses and corners were either under hit or wayward.

Wood had no such problems with precision as a cutting counter enabled Marsh to fire at Fitzsimons.

Terras’ skipper Josh McQuoid slipped on the ball and Calvin Brooks miscontrolled for a throw-in as Weymouth’s nerves continued.

However, the Terras began to feel their way into the contest when Ash was flattened.

Mussa stepped up to whip the free-kick with plenty of dip but Wood keeper Nathan Ashmore caught his effort easily as Weymouth registered their first shot on target.

Moments later, Scott Boden flicked a header wide but Weymouth threatened at the other end as a snaking Brooks run earned a corner which once more came to nothing.

As Weymouth ventured forward, the Wood looked a danger on the counter as Josh Lees worked Fitzsimons with a sharp low shot.

And Wood had a second slightly against the run of play as a long ball tempted Fitzsimons forward, only for Marsh to beat him to it and lob home.

Weymouth remained unchanged after the break and, with the words of Stock ringing in their ear, the Terras improved.

Shields sent a deflected cross in for Brooks to mis-kick a volley and the former was flagged offside after lovely build-up play involving Harfield and Andy Robinson.

Wood still carried menace on the counter as Lees and Kane Smith teamed up to supply the unmarked Marsh, who somehow skewed his header wide from 12 yards.

Stock replaced Mussa for another debutant, Ahkeem Rose, and the Jamaican’s impact was instant.

His presence gave Weymouth a lift as a big chance fell to Ash, who got his feet in a tangle, before deafening cries of a penalty were ignored.

Suddenly, the fans sensed blood and Rose twisted and turned before McQuoid fired a deflected strike over.

Rose was involved again when his header cannoned off a defender, looping up for Ashmore to claim in the 67th minute.

Wood stemmed the flow of Weymouth chances with a spell of pressure, Marsh rifling a deflected shot out for a corner.

Wood nearly made it 3-0 when Fitzsimons attempted to claim a free-kick but was well beaten to it, fortune favouring the keeper when Scott Boden nodded against the bar.

Weymouth sub Tom Bearwish became the Terras’ eighth debutant of the day and he worked Ashmore into his best save of the game, punting towards the top corner.

But Wood, as they had done all afternoon, safely dealt with the corner and were able to see out five minutes of added time unscathed to hand Weymouth a disappointing opening day loss.

Terras: Fitzsimons, Cordner, Goodship, Mussa (Rose 59), McQuoid (Bearwish 72), Ash, Robinson, Brooks, Harfield, Olomowewe, Shields. Subs not used: Morgan, Leslie-Smith, Murray.

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Ilesanmi, Ricketts, Evans, Rees (C Smith 79), Mafuta, Boden, Marsh (Munns 90+2), Fyfield, Mendy, K Smith. Subs not used: Green, Stephens, Raymond.

Referee: Daniel Lamport

Attendance: 1,195