Humphries 60

WESTON-SUPER-MARE extended to six games their winning streak over Dorchester Town with a slender 1-0 win at the Avenue Stadium.

Dorchester’s Oakley Hanger had the Magpies’ best opportunity in the first half, crashing a shot against the bar.

However, Weston had enjoyed the better of play throughout and deservedly got the winner when Lloyd Humphries slotted home a precise finish.

The Seagulls had a major scare in the second half when goalkeeper Luke Purnell suffered a gashed head and concussion.

His injuries were sustained as new Dorchester signing Lerone ‘Rudy’ Plummer attempted to latch on to a cross, instead making contact with Purnell’s head.

Following a lengthy delay, and Purnell walking off gingerly, play continued with a total of 19 added minutes failing to yield an equaliser for Dorchester.

READ MORE: Dorchester Town 0-1 Weston-super-Mare - how it happened

Overall, this was an irritating performance for Dorchester manager Robbie Herrera to witness after a promising 2-0 win over Walton Casuals on Saturday.

The Magpies’ manager made just one change to the starting line-up from that victory.

Out went the injured Sam Davidson, who was present at the ground despite not recovering sufficiently from an ankle knock.

Hanger was his replacement, while Plummer took a spot on the bench.

Dorchester had the chance to overtake Weston in the table by earning three points but the Seagulls set their stall out early.

Lucas Vowles saw a shot headed off the line by Dorchester winger Sam Bayston before Seagulls’ talisman Scott Laird headed over a big chance at the back post.

Weston were routinely finding joy down the sides of Dorchester’s defenders and snuffing out counter-attacks at the other end.

Jacob Jagger-Cane was next to stroll into the area but home keeper Gerard Benfield pushed clear his side-footed effort.

Dorchester were full of endeavour and excellent work by Billy Lowes to dispossess Will Turner went unrewarded as Kieran Phillips scuffed his shot.

Dayle Grubb forced Benfield into another save before the Magpies rattled the visitors’ bar.

From a Dorchester attack on the right, Hanger unleashed a diagonal missile which slammed against the left-hand side of the bar and away to safety.

Weston themselves went close before half-time as Vowles curled just wide with Benfield airborne in an attempt to intercept the effort.

Christos Papakonstantinou curled narrowly wide four minutes after the restart before sub Tom Soares, on for Harry Burns, was booked for a soft foul in the centre circle.

Weston suffered a blow as Laird hobbled off injured but the visitors responded by taking the lead.

Dorchester could not clear the ball on the edge of the box and Humphries lifted the ball over the back four before prodding home with Benfield only able to watch the net ripple.

The Magpies should only have been behind for two minutes, but for unmarked captain Ash Wells to head tamely at Purnell.

Benfield made a good low save to deny Humphries a second before concern for Purnell’s welfare arrived at the opposite end.

Plummer made an innocent attempt to reach the cross but Purnell’s gather was brave and the two inevitably made contact, the keeper coming off far worse.

He was tended to for 15 minutes by staff members from both sides before first being sat up and then escorted slowly off field on his feet.

Weston were thrown a curveball with no recognised keeper on the bench, meaning sub striker Nick McCootie was used as an emergency stopper.

However, Dorchester criminally failed to test him with three golden opportunities.

Tiago Sa and Hanger sent woeful free-kicks straight out of play and youngster Ben Symes made a sweet connection with a volley, only to direct his finish wide.

Weston were untroubled despite a high work rate from the Magpies, who were powerless to see their opponents close out the game in their half.

Magpies: Benfield, Hanger, Sa, Burns (Soares 46, Symes 89), Wells, Bayston, Purrington, Phillips (Plummer 66), Papakonstantinou, Lowes, Buckley. Subs not used: Calverley, Walker-Harris.

Weston-super-Mare: Purnell (Symons 89), Turner, Laird (McCootie 54), Cane, Avery, Pope, Murray, Humphries, Vowles, Grubb, Bastin. Subs not used: Griffith, Kempster.

Attendance: 279