Brundle 33, Marriott 79, Richards-Everton 85


Goodship 70

WEYMOUTH went down 3-1 at managerless Barnet as the Bees claimed their first victory of the Vanarama National League season at the eighth attempt.

Ex-boss Harry Kewell was sacked in midweek having taken two points from seven games, but Barnet took the lead when Mitch Brundle headed home.

Brandon Goodship scored his first Weymouth goal since re-joining the club, heading home a Sean Shields cross with 20 minutes remaining.

However, Josh Leslie-Smith was robbed in possession for Adam Marriott to score before Ben Richards-Everton made sure of the points with five minutes to go.

Weymouth manager Brian Stock made two changes to the side that began the 1-1 draw with Dover last Saturday.

Out went Brandon Goodship and Calvin Brooks, in came Josh Leslie-Smith and key winger Sean Shields.

Xander McBurnie made his first appearance on the bench this season at the home of his former club.

READ MORE: Barnet 3-1 Weymouth - how it happened

Barnet hosted the Terras without a manager following the departure of ex-Liverpool and Leeds winger Kewell.

The former Australia international did not win any of his seven matches in charge and left with the club in 22nd of the 23 teams, on just two points.

After Kewell's sacking, head of football Dean Brennan took charge of the first team.

Staggeringly, he became the sixth person to lead Barnet in 2021.

Weymouth’s preparation for the clash was also less than ideal, the team bus arriving late after being caught up in the petrol panic buying currently sweeping the nation.

After a minute’s applause for former Barnet striker Jimmy Greaves, who died last Sunday, Weymouth made a good start by winning an early corner.

Swinging into the box, the delivery caused an uncomfortable moment for the Bees’ defence, finding its way to Tyler Cordner who stung the palms of home keeper Sam Sargeant.

The teams traded set-plays before Kian Flanagan’s deflected shot whistled past the upright, Weymouth standing strong to defend the corner.

What proved to be Weymouth’s best chance of the half followed in the 19th minute as, with the goal at his mercy, Leslie-Smith skewed a volley from Omar Mussa’s fine cross.

Dorset Echo: Josh Leslie-Smith, left, missed a good chance early on Picture: MARK PROBINJosh Leslie-Smith, left, missed a good chance early on Picture: MARK PROBIN

Barnet looked uncertain from a Ross Fitzsimons long ball as Weymouth continued to push, although Sargeant was out quickly to deny Brad Ash.

At the other end, Taofiq Olomowewe safely dissolved a three-on-one situation after Mussa’s untimely slip, but Barnet were ahead on 33 minutes.

After winning another corner, a feature of Barnet’s first half, the hosts broke through as Brundle contorted his body to head home from six yards.

Weymouth huffed and puffed for an equaliser without creating a promising chance before Ollie Harfield went close prior to the break, his skidding shot forcing a spill from Sargeant who collected at the second attempt.

Stock’s men endured one final scare in first-half stoppage time when Mussa’s foul presented the Bees with a free-kick 20 yards out.

Josh Payne stepped up and curled a beauty towards goal but was cruelly denied by the post as the hosts went in 1-0 up.

Mussa struck a free-kick over the bar when play resumed but it did not take long for Barnet to regain the initiative.

Dorset Echo: Omar Mussa had the first chance of the second half Picture: MARK PROBINOmar Mussa had the first chance of the second half Picture: MARK PROBIN

Brundle forced Fitzsimons into a superb reaction save with a shot on the stretch, before Ephron Mason-Clark tested the keeper with a powerful long shot.

Bloomfield headed over from close range as Barnet threatened a second but Weymouth responded when Andy Robinson struck a firm effort just wide from 18 yards.

Robinson fired inches wide again, Stock then introducing Goodship in the 65th minute.

His change took just five minutes to have the desired effect, the ex-Southend man clinically heading home a Sean Shields cross to set up a thrilling finish.

Dorset Echo: Brandon Goodship, second right, scored with 20 minutes remaining Picture: MARK PROBINBrandon Goodship, second right, scored with 20 minutes remaining Picture: MARK PROBIN

Weymouth had dominated in the final third for large spells but were wounded with a costly mistake.

Barnet replied when a substitute of their own, Adam Marriott, popped up to make it 2-1 with just 11 minutes to go - turning the whole complexion of the contest.

Leslie-Smith lost possession to Dan Powell and the sub then presented Marriott with an unmissable chance.

Barnet made sure of the points five minutes from time, despite Weymouth calls for offside, as Richards-Everton slammed home a header via the crossbar from Sam Beard’s cross.

Barnet: Sargeant, Thomas, Payne, Richards-Everton, Brundle, Bloomfield (Marriott 73), Mason-Clark (Hall 74), Flanagan, Taylor, Beard, Sesay (Powell 65). Subs not used: Callan, Nugent.

Terras: Fitzsimons, Cordner, Mussa, McQuoid, Ash (Bearwish 90), Leslie-Smith, Robinson, Murray (Goodship 65), Harfield, Olomowewe, Shields. Subs not used: McBurnie, Morgan, Brooks.

Referee: Rob Massey-Ellis

Attendance: 1,269 (143 from Weymouth)