Shields 39


Madden 72, Crankshaw 88

WEYMOUTH were undone in the final minutes to lose 2-1 to title challenging Stockport County on a wet afternoon at the Bob Lucas Stadium.

The Terras were pressing well and thought they had taken the lead in the 20th minute. Omar Mussa threaded a ball to the onrushing Cameron Murray, whose heavy touch fed the ball to Goodship. The striker turned past Ex-Terras keeper Ethan Ross to take the shot on goal.

Liam Hogan tried to stop the ball crossing the line but it was too late, however celebrations were subdued when the official on the near side had flagged for offside.

Immediately the side from Greater Manchester attacked and almost scored from the counter. Macauley Southam-Hales played the ball to Paddy Madden into the area. The number nine laid the ball off for Ryan Croasdale to strike first time, however the strike had cleared the stadium.

READ MORE: Matt Le Tissier to visit Weymouth for fans evening

Stockport had another chance minutes later, when Ethan Pye played the ball to Ben Whitfield. The midfielder looked up before striking a low shot towards goal which was deflected off a Terras defender, with the ball going just wide of Ross Fitzsimons' right post.

Weymouth were again gaining control of the ball in tight pockets and managing to play their way out of danger. Sean Shields chipped the ball through to Goodship who made a breakaway run from the left.

Goodship had played a ball into the box however there was no Terras player to make contact, giving Stockport time to clear.

The weather worsened but Weymouth were still pushing for a goal, this time Mussa drilled a pass across to Shields out wide. The tricky winger cut in before taking a curled effort with his right foot which was goal bound, if not for Madden tracking back to put in a block.

For all Weymouth's work they did take the lead in the 39th minute in unusual circumstances. McQuoid played the ball through to Shields in a crowded area.

The winger pulled out of making a touch when both Liam Hogan and Ross challenged for the ball, however in the confusion neither player picked up possession. This allowed Shields to pick the ball up beyond the defence to tap into an empty net.

Following the goal, County were looking frustrated, giving away possession and cheap free kicks, giving the Terras a chance at a second before half-time.

Andy Robinson threaded a long pass to Goodship who travelled beyond his marker to square the ball to Josh Leslie-Smith, with the right back furthest up the pitch. Leslie-Smith took a touch but his shot smacked against Ross’ left post before going out for a goal kick.

After the break, Stockport were looking more dominant on the ball but Weymouth had the first real chance nine minutes in. Shields found space on the left before cutting in and curling a shot around players in the box to Ross’ top left corner. The County keeper did well to scramble over and tip it away for a corner.

Goodship posed a threat all afternoon and was close to doubling the lead when Harfield switched the play to the striker on the left. The former Southend striker ran into the area before firing a shot towards the near post, which Ross managed to parry away for a corner.

Just two minutes later, Stockport formed a counter attack of their own and finally broke down Weymouth’s resilient defence. Southam-Hales played the ball from the right wing to Madden who fired the ball into the back of the net in front of their travelling supporters.

The away side thought they found the winner in the 81st minute but like Weymouth in the first half, the assistant lulled the crowd.

Southam-Hales played the ball down the line to substitute Oliver Crankshaw who played the ball in first time to Madden. The striker took the ball around Fitzsimons before flicking the ball beyond the goalkeeper at a tight angle when the linesman flagged for offside.

With just minutes to go County found their winner. Southam-Hales did well to keep the ball in play on the byline, flicking in a low cross towards the area. Fitzsimons got down with both hands on the ball but had given debutant Crankshaw the opportunity to take the ball off the keeper to tap it into an empty net.

The visitors held on through Weymouth pressure in the 5 minutes of additional time.

Terras: Fitzsimons, Cordner, Goodship, Harfield, Leslie-Smith, McQuoid (Ash 77), Murray (Thomson 90), Mussa (Bearwish 77), Olomowewe, Robinson, Shields. Subs not used: Brooks, McBurnie.

Attendance: 872