Slew 33, Spence 81


WEYMOUTH suffered a fourth straight defeat as Halifax Town claimed a 2-0 win at the Shay to maintain their superb start to the Vanarama National League season.

In a match ultimately light on clear-cut chances, Jordan Slew burned Weymouth’s good early work with a neat finish at the back post 33 minutes in.

Halifax had half-chances to extend their lead either side of the break and Weymouth did not often enough work Town keeper Sam Johnson.

The resulting effect saw Halifax seal victory through Kian Spence with eight minutes remaining, Weymouth unable to respond.

While this was an upgrade on Tuesday’s loss at Bromley, Weymouth’s poor form has dipped them into the relegation zone.

Weymouth boss Brian Stock made three changes to the side that began the 3-0 loss at the Ravens in midweek.

READ MORE: Halifax 2-0 Weymouth - how it happened

Dropped to the bench were skipper Josh McQuoid, Brad Ash and Taofiq Olomowewe.

In came Cameron Murray, Tom Bearwish and Josh Leslie-Smith.

Dorset Echo: Josh Leslie-Smith was unfortunate in Halifax's second goal Picture: MARK PROBINJosh Leslie-Smith was unfortunate in Halifax's second goal Picture: MARK PROBIN

Weymouth had plenty of attacking options on the bench, with strikers McQuoid and Ash plus winger Ahkeem Rose all at their disposal.

Winless in six games, Weymouth were in need of a good start.

And the Terras certainly came quickest out of the blocks, showing their technical ability up front.

Sean Shields was often at the heart of it, as he so often is for the Terras, but his shot in the third minute was blocked by the immovable Jesse Debrah.

Weymouth were then angered by the decision not to award a foul on the edge of the box for what they felt was a clear foul on Omar Mussa.

Mussa was involved again after bright work from Shields on the wing, his shot cleared off the line as Halifax retreated to good effect.

Dorset Echo: Sean Shields, centre, was at the heart of Weymouth's good early play Picture: MARK PROBINSean Shields, centre, was at the heart of Weymouth's good early play Picture: MARK PROBIN

Halifax had weathered the visitors’ early pressure and slowly began to assert themselves, befitting a team in third place before kick-off.

The second of two successive corners yielded a chance for Debrah at the back post but the defender guided his nodded effort wide.

That man Debrah was there to block Mussa’s searching cross before Halifax took the lead in the 33rd minute.

In truth it was Halifax’s first move of any real quality as Tyrell Warren pinged in a delicious ball to Slew who finished well at the back post.

Jack Senior and Spence tried their luck at the end of the half as Halifax searched for a second to no avail.

Their efforts were subdued after the break by the form of Weymouth goalkeeper Ross Fitzsimons.

Firstly, Halifax won a free-kick and from the rebound Fitzsimons was able to watch Niall Maher’s shot fly wide.

Matty Warburton was then denied by an excellent save from Fitzsimons, the keeper alert to the danger.

He was then called upon to keep out Billy Waters’ effort and in doing so went down in discomfort but was able to continue.

Teammate Andreas Robinson also looked in discomfort and in this case was replaced by Xander McBurnie.

Dorset Echo: Xander McBurnie, right, came on in the second half for Weymouth Picture: MARK PROBINXander McBurnie, right, came on in the second half for Weymouth Picture: MARK PROBIN

Kieran Green fired wide for Halifax and Weymouth made two more substitutions as McQuoid and Ash came on for Halifax-born Murray and Shields.

Weymouth then had two chances to create an opening on the break, midway through the half.

Brandon Goodship’s final pass to McQuoid went astray and a lovely move which found Ash in the area was halted by the offside flag.

Waters and Warburton were both off-target with their latest shots in response before Spence applied the finishing touch to securing the three points.

There was a touch of misfortune to the goal for Weymouth as the cross in bounced awkwardly for Leslie-Smith, allowing Spence to fire home for his first Halifax goal.

Halifax mounted pressure in the closing stages searching for a third, man-of-the-match Senior seeing an effort superbly saved by Fitzsimons and blazing over on the rebound.

However, their performance was just enough to beat Weymouth who improved on the Bromley defeat but failed to pose Halifax goalkeeper Johnson serious problems.

The Terras slipped to a fourth consecutive loss, dropping into 21st in the process.

Halifax: Johnson, Debrah, Maher, Warren, Senior, Spence, Green, Warburton (Woods 80), Waters (Allen 77), Slew, Gilmour (Newby 77). Subs not used: Summerfield, McDonagh.

Terras: Fitzsimons, Cordner, Goodship, Mussa, Bearwish, Leslie-Smith, Robinson (McBurnie 56), Brooks, Murray (McQuoid 60), Harfield, Shields (Ash 67). Subs not used: Rose, Olomowewe.

Attendance: 2,241