Wakefield 12


Bearwish 90+4

WEYMOUTH’S hopes of a first FA Cup first round appearance in 14 years are still alive after Tom Bearwish scored a 94th-minute leveller at arch-rivals Yeovil Town.

Bearwish popped up to stab home from a long throw, sending Weymouth’s supporters into ecstasy.

It was no less than Weymouth deserved after the Terras dominated for large spells, again lacking a serious cutting edge up top.

Bearwish’s goal cancelled out a fine strike from Charlie Wakefield after Ollie Harfield’s error.

Calvin Brooks had Weymouth’s best chance of the game up to then, hitting the side netting from close range.

But such was Weymouth’s dominance, particularly in the second half, the Terras might count themselves unlucky not to have won the game at Huish Park.

READ MORE: Yeovil 1-1 Weymouth - how it happened

Manager Brian Stock made three changes to the Weymouth side that began the 2-0 loss at FC Halifax Town last week.

Dropping to the bench were Tom Bearwish, Andreas Robinson and Cameron Murray.

In came new signing Josef Yarney into defence, plus skipper Josh McQuoid and fellow forward Brad Ash.

Completing the bench were new striker Martell Taylor-Crossdale, young keeper Harrison Bruton, centre-back Taofiq Olomowewe and winger Ahkeem Rose.

Yeovil made one change from their 1-1 draw with Altrincham on Tuesday, Adi Yussef replaced by Wakefield.

With so much at stake for both sides, there was an understandably nervy opening.

Yeovil keeper Grant Smith sliced a clearance into the stands as Weymouth came forward early on but the Terras were undone in the 12th minute by a glaring error.

Ollie Harfield failed to deal with a long ball and the resulting tangle presented Wakefield with a golden chance from 18 yards, drilling home into the bottom-left corner to ignite an already raucous Thatchers Stand.

Weymouth had a chance to respond through Tyler Cordner but the defender headed a Sean Shields corner over.

Yeovil were using long throws to good effect, sliding in down Weymouth’s flanks, and then utilising the long arm of Tom Knowles to arc searching balls into the box.

There were no major scares from set-pieces for Weymouth as defender Brooks was the latest to bravely head away under pressure.

Weymouth eventually settled midway through the half and began to dominate play, the ubiquitous Omar Mussa seemingly at the centre of everything.

The former Dover midfielder set Shields away to earn a corner from which Josh Leslie-Smith glanced a header wide of the far post.

Weymouth began to probe the Yeovil defence with free-kicks and little chipped balls but the hosts stood firm until the Terras’ biggest chance of the half.

Mussa showed expert vision to find Brooks on the right and his first touch took the ball past Jordan Barnett, who tripped in the process.

Brooks was suddenly unmarked and bore down on goal before placing his shot just outside the near post, rippling the side netting.

Weymouth ended the half strongly as Mussa curled low at Smith and McQuoid saw an effort deflected just wide.

Yeovil gave a reminder of their threat just before the break when Matt Worthington volleyed a Knowles cross just over from 15 yards.

Stock’s men continued to dominate after the interval when Ash’s low cross was claimed by Smith and Shields then worked the keeper into a sharp save with his feet, drilling a shot from the left angle of the box.

Mussa, the heartbeat of Weymouth’s play, then shimmied away from a challenge to set up Ash, his curling low shot straight at Smith.

The effort was his last involvement, so too for Goodship, as they were replaced by Taylor-Crossdale and Rose on the hour.

Rose was immediately involved, winning a free-kick near the byline, only for Yeovil to clear Shields’ delivery with ease.

Unusually for a derby of this magnitude, the first booking came in the 72nd minute when Dale Gorman slid in with too much force on Harfield.

Yeovil then embarked on a rare attack in the second half as Knowles twisted and turned before sending a deflected shot behind.

Weymouth hunted an equaliser in the closing stages as McQuoid’s chip to Mussa at the back post was headed behind, Smith commandingly claiming Shields’ corner.

There was incredible late drama as sub Bearwish turned home a long throw from the far side to earn Weymouth a fully deserved replay.

Yeovil: Smith, Moss, Hunt, Staunton, Barnett, Gorman, Worthington, Knowles (J Robinson 81), Wakefield, Seymour, Quigley. Subs not used: Evans, Dyer, Lo-Everton, Simper, Stephens, Yussef.

Terras: Fitzsimons, Cordner, Goodship (Rose 60), Mussa, McQuoid, Ash (Taylor-Crossdale 60), Leslie-Smith, Brooks (Bearwish 86), Yarney, Harfield, Shields. Subs not used: A Robinson, Murray, Bruton, Olomowewe.

Referee: Darren Drysdale

Attendance: 3,354