Goodship 68


Lewis 65, Armstrong 70

WEYMOUTH were sent to a fourth consecutive Vanarama National League loss as Torquay United claimed a thrilling 2-1 win at the Bob Lucas Stadium.

After a goalless first half full of chances, Torquay’s Joe Lewis headed the Gulls in front in the 65th minute.

Brandon Goodship’s first home goal of the season levelled matters three minutes later before Sinclair Armstrong volleyed home in the 70th minute.

Weymouth pressed for an equaliser but Torquay struck the woodwork twice in injury-time to end their run of three league defeats.

Weymouth boss Brian Stock made four changes to the side that began the 3-2 loss against Woking.

READ MORE: Weymouth 1-2 Torquay United - how it happened

Out went Brad Ash, Josh Leslie-Smith, Andy Robinson and Sean Shields.

In came strikers Brandon Goodship and Martell Taylor-Crossdale, Cameron Murray and new full-back loan signing Leon Davies, who joins for a month from Cambridge United.

Ben Thomson returned to the bench after a knee knock, while Tom Bearwish was available after suspension.

Leslie-Smith and Shields were dropped to the dugout, while Tom Blair took the fifth spot on the bench.

In the previous meeting at Weymouth between the sides there was a thrilling 4-3 victory for Torquay and the chances again came thick and fast in their latest encounter.

Weymouth were kicking against a brisk, icy wind in the first half and saw numerous crosses stall in the air as the elements played their part.

Torquay made the better start as Dan Holman’s delicate cross to the back post picked out Tom Lapslie, the midfielder’s cushioned header rolling agonisingly wide of the far post.

Weymouth responded when Taylor-Crossdale latched onto Murray’s chipped ball and fired at keeper Shaun MacDonald, only for the offside flag to go up.

Taylor-Crossdale was denied a certain goal by the brilliance of MacDonald, who leapt full stretch to prevent the striker’s 20-yard effort from creeping inside the far post.

Torquay should have scored with the next attack, only for Byron Moore to horribly steer wide after Ross Fitzsimons repelled Armani Little’s stinging shot.

Taylor-Crossdale was involved again on 26 minutes, Omar Mussa’s chipped ball landing perfectly for the striker to check back and fire at goal – only for Ben Wynter’s superb block to keep it 0-0.

Torquay were always dangerous on the break as Little raided forward before Holman poked wide.

Weymouth’s Ben Morgan headed off target from two corners either side of former Plymouth and Dorchester hitman Klaidi Lolos dragging an effort wide.

Little then tested Fitzsimons with a swerving shot before the break as an entertaining half somehow remained goalless.

Torquay were again out of the blocks quickly when play restarted, Lolos skying an effort out of the ground before Taofiq Olomowewe superbly headed Asa Hall’s shot off the line.

Weymouth enjoyed a big spell of pressure in reply, with several shots blocked as Torquay defended resolutely.

The Gulls’ defence was rewarded when Lolos escaped on the left and won a corner after Fitzsimons blocked behind with his legs.

From Little’s delivery, Lewis rose highest to graze a header into the far corner.

Weymouth were behind for just three minutes as Davies produced a stunning cross, picking out Goodship who duly nodded home unmarked from six yards.

However, less than two minutes later the Terras were undone when Cordner rushed out with a reckless slide tackle and allowed Little to skip by.

His low ball spotted Lolos, whose composure looked set to earn him a goal until his blocked shot fell to Armstrong, the forward tapping a volley home.

Stock threw on Shields and Blair for Mussa and Taylor-Crossdale and Blair was denied by an important tackle from ex-Crystal Palace man Dean Moxey.

Moxey was there to head clear two Shields corners as Weymouth pressed, but it was the Gulls who really should have scored next.

Armstrong was denied by a stunning block from Fitzsimons, the striker racing clear after shaking off Davies too easily.

Fitzsimons then miraculously kept out a Lolos header, tipping his attempt onto the bar to keep the Terras in the game.

Blair was then culpable of missing Weymouth’s next big chance, volleying over from 10 yards after Torquay missed a cross.

With three added minutes, Torquay looked the likelier scorers as Little crashed a 20-yard strike against the bar and Lapslie struck the outside of the post in the 94th minute.

In the end, Torquay claimed victory as Weymouth fell to a third straight home league defeat.

Terras: Fitzsimons, Morgan (Leslie-Smith 82), Cordner, Goodship, Mussa (Shields 71), McQuoid, Taylor-Crossdale (Blair 71), Murray, Harfield, Olomowewe, Davies. Subs not used: Thomson, Bearwish.

Torquay: MacDonald, Wynter, Martin, Lapslie, Hall, Little, Lolos, Moxey, Moore (O’Connell 46), Holman (Armstrong 67), Lewis. Subs not used: Halstead, Omar, Andrews.

Referee: Michael Woods

Attendance: 1,559