Williams 9


Carkeet 79 pen, Jevon 82

PORTLAND United were stung by a controversial late turnaround as Bournemouth Poppies came from 1-0 down to win 2-1 in their Wessex League Premier Division opener.

Josh Williams had put the Blues 1-0 up in the ninth minute before the game descended into near chaos with a number of cranky players questioning the officials’ decision-making.

Poppies handled the situation better than Portland and were rewarded in the second half when Tyrone Carkeet scored a penalty following a debatable foul by Sam Poole.

Conor Jevon then stabbed home in the 82nd minute as Poppies scored twice in three minutes to seal victory.

READ MORE: Weymouth 1-0 Dorchester Town - match report

Playing against the wind in the first half, Portland were the dominant side and deservedly took the lead when Williams stepped in, won the ball and lashed through the grasp of Poppies’ keeper Jack Robertson.

While Portland enjoyed more territory, Poppies were a threat on the break as Kyle Graham slashed wide before home keeper Mike Edgar pulled off a stunning save to somehow deny Sami Garcia.

Marcus Smith shot wide for the Blues before skipper Ryan McKechnie, who was constantly complaining to referee Mark McGowan, saw yellow for a clash with Kane Daysh.

Tempers continued to flare with five yellows in all during the first 45 minutes, Portland ending the half on top as McKechnie headed wide.

However, Poppies twice went close after the restart as Neemo Nixon drilled wide and Jevon was unable to touch home Nixon’s flick soon afterwards.

As Poppies chased an equaliser, gaps began to open up for Portland to exploit on the counter, co-boss Franklyn Clarke curling wide from 25 yards.

In the very next attack, Matt Harvey’s booming clearance set Liam Sayers away but rather than shoot the ex-Portsmouth man elected to pass and the chance was wasted.

Poppies made four changes in the second half and got the equaliser when sub Joe Smith contentiously won a penalty.

There seemed minimal contact, if any, by Poole’s outstretched leg but referee McGowan had little hesitation in blowing for a foul.

That left Edgar facing Carkeet’s penalty and he was unable to lay a glove on it as Carkeet swept home into the bottom left corner.

Three minutes later and disaster struck for Portland when another sub, Joe Freak, won a free-kick and Marcus Cullen beat Edgar only to see his effort crash back off the bar.

Poppies kept the ball alive and two flick-ons later Jevon outmuscled his man to poke in off the underside of the bar, sparking jubilation on the away bench.

Portland regrouped well and hit the post twice in stoppage-time, the unlucky Sayers seeing his effort spin off a defender, against the woodwork and out for a corner.

And McKechnie nodded against the near post from Clarke’s pinpoint free-kick as Portland were forced to settle for a disappointing loss on the opening day.

Portland are next in action at home to Lymington Town in the FA Cup on Saturday (3pm), the fixture having been switched from Town’s home ground.

Blues: Edgar, Thomas, Stuttle, Harvey, Poole, Williams, McKechnie, F Clarke, Sayers, Hewitt (Walbridge 65), M Smith (Toland 70). Subs not used: B Smith, Diaz, Wilson.

Attendance: 243

Match sponsor: Tilleys Motorcycles Ltd

Match ball sponsor: LowNote Customs

Mascots: Daniel Peters, Connor Wootton, Florence and Spencer