Stanley 4, 23


Brown 53

DORCHESTER Town got their Pitching In Southern League Premier South season off to the perfect start with a 2-1 victory over North Leigh at the Avenue Stadium.

Alfie Stanley got both the Magpies’ goals before Ben Brown pulled one back for North Leigh’s first-ever goal at Step 3 level.

Both sides had chances late on without taking them and there was a huge scrap at the end involving both benches as the match finished on a sour note.

Dorchester will get over the bitterness at the end far quicker than the Millers, especially having dominated for large periods.

READ MORE: Dorchester Town 2-1 North Leigh - how it happened

Dorchester midfielder and debutant Jordan Ngalo had already created a chance for Shaq Gwengwe, claimed by Leigh keeper Adam North, before the Magpies took a fourth-minute lead.

Dorset Echo: Jordan Ngalo, right, was among eight debutants in the starting XI Picture: IDRIS MARTINJordan Ngalo, right, was among eight debutants in the starting XI Picture: IDRIS MARTIN

Olly Balmer found fellow debutant Gwengwe and Stanley was waiting for the striker’s pass before applying the finishing touch with a flick.

Only the post prevented Dorchester from going 2-0 up in six minutes when Louie Slough’s effort was parried by North into the path of Gwengwe, who smacked his effort against the woodwork.

Stanley then attempted to emulate his wondrous strike from the halfway line against Tiverton last season with a cheeky effort from a similar distance, only to slightly overhit the shot.

North Leigh had chances to reply when Charles Samuel shot wide and Amer Awadh missed a good opening from a low cross inside the area.

However, Stanley put Dorchester 2-0 up on 23 minutes when he intercepted a stray pass from the Millers before rounding North and slotting home.

Dorchester were alarmed when Brad Snelling saved from Roger James as an end-to-end first half came to an end.

Early in the second half, more sloppy defending from North Leigh presented Balmer with a chance only for the striker to fire wide.

And North Leigh got themselves back into it on 53 minutes when Scott Isherwood flicked on a corner and Brown bundled home from all of three yards out.

After a host of substitutions, Jordan Alves blasted at Snelling and Gwengwe was repelled by North as the opportunities continued to flow.

Dorchester handed a debut to teenage new signing Alex Moyse in place of Gwengwe but the midfielder was denied a goal by North’s parry.

Dorset Echo: Alex Moyse, left, suffers a painful boot to the leg Picture: IDRIS MARTINAlex Moyse, left, suffers a painful boot to the leg Picture: IDRIS MARTIN

Dorchester looked to be running the clock down without panic as the Millers were reduced to shooting from range, sub Jordan Thomas driving over.

Then came the major flashpoint of the game on 88 minutes as Dorchester boss Glenn Howes was alleged to have kicked the ball away to delay a throw-in.

The Magpies’ boss turned away and was then pushed in the back and went to ground, sparking handbags between nearly all players and staff from both sides.

Dorset Echo: A big melee marred the end of the game Picture: IDRIS MARTINA big melee marred the end of the game Picture: IDRIS MARTIN

North Leigh’s James Dobson was booked for his part, while Howes also received yellow.

Dorchester coach Brian Churchill became the third booking from the melee after delaying the restart.

As a result of a five-minute delay to calm tempers after the incident, the game finished after 5pm but Dorchester closed out the result to claim a good three points.

Magpies: Snelling, Bertrand, Slough (Sa 63), Foot, Buckley, Douglas, Neale, Ngalo, Gwengwe (Moyse 74), Stanley, Balmer (Griggs 59). Subs not used: Dillon, Doyle.

Referee: Iain Parsons

Attendance: 356