DEFENDER Scott Doe has described winning the Supporters' Player of the Year award as the "best thing in the world".

The 19-year-old received the accolade after Saturday's enthralling 2-2 draw with Altrincham at the Wessex Stadium, a result that condemned the Cheshire outfit to relegation and stretched the Terras' unbeaten run to six games.

Doe said: "It is just unbelievable. For a couple of weeks now people have been saying I deserve it and even the players have been telling me I was going to win it but I never thought it would happen.

"I was saying to someone the other day, when I first came to the club I thought I might play 15 games throughout the whole season but I have ended up playing over twice that and it has just been fantastic.

"I came in, took my chance, and this award today is the best thing in the world."

Doe was also quick to praise Anton Robinson, who was voted Players' Player of the Year, for his contribution to the campaign.

He added: "I think Anton has been excellent all season and that is why I voted for him for the award.

"The amount of work he does for the team is unbelievable and it goes unnoticed sometimes but I can't praise him enough."

An own goal from Gary Scott and a strike from Michael Malcolm put the Terras in front on two occasions on Saturday but Alty had to win and put everything on the line as Colin Little and Chris Senior both netted to set up a tense finale.

Unfortunately for the visitors they were unable to find a third in an frantic encounter that also saw Kyle Critchell and Scott sent off for violent conduct and five bookings.

Doe said: "It was non-stop and it was hard because the ball kept coming back at us as they threw men forward.

"They needed to win and the game was always going to be a tense and frenetic affair, and it got even more so when both teams went down to ten because it opened up more gaps.

"In the second half they gave it everything they had but we stood up to it and managed to keep our unbeaten run going which is what we were after."

Referee Mike Mullarkey had his work cut out throughout the 90 minutes as both teams produced some heavy challenges.

Doe added: "It was a hard one for the referee to be fair. John Hollins told us before the game what to expect and said do not retaliate but make sure you look after yourselves.' "Kyle was particularly upset at the end. He went round to everyone at half-time and said sorry because he knew he was in the wrong for reacting the way he did."

Alty boss Graham Heathcote was livid because he felt Weymouth full back Trevor Challis should have also been sent off after just 15 minutes for what he described was a "horrendous" tackle on the half-way line.

Doe said: "It was not that bad. You could see Trevor was going for the ball and I think their manager just reacted the way he did because of what was riding on the game."

Hollins was full of praise for his players after the clash.

He said: "It was all about being professional. We have worked extremely hard over the last few weeks and to finish the season six unbeaten shows a real strength.

"That was one of the toughest games we have had and the way the boys stood up to the task was fabulous.

"If we get that sort of response from the players all next season we will go somewhere.

"It might not be top of the league but it certainly won't be the same position we have found ourselves in this season."

As for his own future, Hollins added: "Too right I want to be here next season and already I can't wait to start building on what we have started."

n Match report on Page 28