Rose 14, 61


AHKEEM Rose scored twice as Weymouth beat old enemies Dorchester Town 2-0 to reach the Dorset Senior Cup final.

Rose’s deflected first-half strike sent the Terras on their way, but Shaq Gwengwe crucially missed a glorious chance to equalise for Dorchester.

In the end, the Terras’ greater quality in front of goal told as Rose slammed a stunning 25-yard volley into the top corner to send the Magpies out.

Weymouth will play holders Poole Town in the final after the Dolphins came back from 2-0 down to beat Shaftesbury 3-2.

Weymouth made three changes to the side that began the 4-1 loss at Ebbsfleet on Saturday.

READ MORE: Weymouth 2-0 Dorchester Town - how it happened

Harry Kyprianou (hamstring), Brad Ash and ex-Magpie Tom Blair all missed out from the starting XI, with the latter two dropping to the bench.

In came Dan Matsuzaka, Josh Oyinsan and former Dorchester loanee Tom Bearwish.

Joining Ash and Blair on the bench were Matt Buse, former Dorchester man Cam Murray and Luke Nippard.

Dorchester, meanwhile, showed four alterations to the side that began the 4-2 win at Hartley Wintney on Saturday.

Magpies' captain and ex-Weymouth star Callum Buckley missed out completely, while Keith Emmerson, Matty Neale and Kieran Douglas dropped to the bench.

The benched trio were joined by under-18s star Lewis Toms, who scored twice in extra-time to beat Bridport in the last 16, plus former Weymouth man Jordan Ngalo.

As might have been expected with Weymouth playing one division higher, the Terras made the early running as Rose curled wide from 20 yards.

And the Terras had a penalty in the tenth minute when Jordi Foot clumsily bumped into Bearwish in the box, the Weymouth man having cleverly shielded the ball with his body.

Slough was reprieved when Oyinsan’s well-directed shot to the bottom-right corner lacked sufficient power to beat a full-stretch Ryan Hall, for Dorchester’s fifth penalty save this season.

Oyinsan’s miss was rendered academic in the 14th minute when Rose opened the scoring.

Oyinsan was instrumental in the build-up, holding the ball and wriggling out of the Dorchester press before feeding Rose, who shook off Ferdinand Okoh too easily in midfield.

Rose then raced 40 yards upfield and hit a deflected shot into the bottom-left corner past the helpless Hall.

Dorchester responded when Charlie Gunson curled a free-kick at Zaki Oualah but Oyinsan went close again when Hall caught his header at the back post.

Dorchester grew into the game midway through the half and felt aggrieved of a penalty when Gwengwe tumbled in the box with no foul given.

Former Portsmouth striker Alfie Stanley struck a deflected shot wide for the Magpies, who really then should have equalised on 35 minutes.

Harvey Bradbury’s chest control and perfect pass into Gwengwe’s stride played the striker in, only for the Magpies’ number 11 to lift his shot over Oualah and the bar with the goal beckoning.

At the other end, Gunson escaped when Rose telegraphed his pass out of defence, Hall coming to his teammate’s rescue by advancing quickly to block the Jamaican.

There were no changes at half-time but within a minute of the restart Weymouth hit the bar when O’Connell’s dipping corner struck the woodwork with Hall beaten.

After a brief lull, the game was revitalised by a moment of quality from Rose.

Oyinsan’s flick-on from a throw set up the Jamaican for an instinctive volley that flew into the top-right corner from 25 yards, leaving Hall motionless.

Desperate for a goal to make up for his penalty miss, Oyinsan then sliced a volley wide and fired at Hall while leaning back.

Dorchester offered little in response, with Oualah catching a Balmer corner after Sa’s magnificent cross earned the set-piece.

Dorchester upped their tempo late in the half as teenage sub Toms blazed over after an enterprising run from Sa.

Bradbury then directed a shot wide in the stretch as a goal evaded the Magpies.

And Rose went close to dreamy hat-trick goal when his overhead kick flew centimetres wide.

His was the final chance as Weymouth booked their place in the final at the expense of their great rivals.

Terras: Oualah, Jenkins, Carlyle, Matsuzaka, Francis, McBurnie, Bearwish (Buse 81), Rees (Nippard 75), Rose, Oyinsan (Blair 80), O'Connell. Subs not used: Ash, Murray.

Magpies: Hall, Bertrand, Sa, Okoh, Slough, Foot, Gunson (Toms 71), Balmer, Bradbury, Stanley (Douglas 87), Gwengwe (Emmerson 62). Subs not used: Neale, Ngalo.

Referee: James Durkin

Attendance: 424