Thomas 14, Steele 34


DORCHESTER Town were stunned 2-0 by Pitching In Southern League Premier South bottom side North Leigh.

The Magpies were sent to their third consecutive league defeat after first-half goals from Jordan Thomas and Levi Steele.

Dorchester did create chances to get back into the game for Shaq Gwengwe, Alfie Stanley and Kieran Douglas but the Millers escaped without conceding to book a priceless win.

However, the result gives Dorchester much to ponder ahead of hosting Hanwell on Saturday (3pm).

READ MORE: North Leigh 2-0 Dorchester Town - how it happened

Manager Glenn Howes hoped to stem the tide by making three changes from Saturday’s 3-0 loss at Tiverton.

In came defenders Harvey-Joe Bertrand and Tiago Sa, plus midfielder Alex Moyse while Matty Neale, Alfie Stanley and Keith Emmerson all dropped to a four-man bench.

Ferdinand Okoh was Dorchester’s other option, the Magpies opting against bringing teenager Lewis Toms.

To avoid a kit clash with North Leigh’s yellow and their yellow away kit, Dorchester wore their home shirts with blue away shorts.

The change did not prove a distraction early on as both sides set out for an open start.

Sa had a chance inside the first minute when he rifled wide from Charlie Gunson’s pass and the latter nearly picked out Gwengwe’s run in behind moments later.

North Leigh then began to settle as Thomas shot wide when off balance, although Gunson gave a reminder of Dorchester’s intent by shaping a free-kick past the upright.

However, North Leigh struck the first blow in the 14th minute when Thomas weaved his way past a succession of challenges before beating Ryan Hall in the Magpies’ goal.

Dorchester upped the tempo in response but North Leigh’s Lance Williams volleyed over at the other end, followed by a big save from Hall to deny Steele.

Hall was called upon again in the 26th minute but despite his good work Dorchester found themselves 2-0 down before the break.

The Millers had earlier gone close when Aaron Heap warmed Hall’s gloves but the Aldershot loanee was powerless to prevent Steele tapping home Williams’ pass.

Again, Dorchester replied positively to going behind as Gunson worked home keeper Adam North and Gwengwe was thwarted by the offside trap from Jordan Ngalo’s pass.

Steele guided a header wide prior to Dorchester’s first change as Neale replaced Jordi Foot.

Shots were exchanged at either end as Thomas flashed an effort wide and Gwengwe whistled a long-range attempt past North’s post.

With Dorchester beginning to apply pressure, Howes introduced Emmerson for Slough and Stanley for Gwengwe in search of a route back into the game.

Dec Peart made a crucial diving challenge to deny Dorchester and the Magpies then saw Stanley charge through the home defence before firing at North.

Douglas nodded a Neale corner wide in the 88th minute and there was no reprieve in four added minutes as Dorchester went a second match without scoring.

North Leigh: North, Isherwood, Nash, Peart, McCreadie, Steele, Thomas, Heap, Williams, Alexander, Dore. Subs not used: James, Nenonen-Millar, Awadh.

Magpies: Hall, Foot (Neale 56), Slough (Emmerson 70), Moyse, Buckley, Douglas, Gunson, Ngalo, Gwengwe (Stanley 77), Bertrand, Sa. Sub not used: Okoh.

Referee: Alan Cresswell

Attendance: 109