Robinson 10, Grant 30, Saied 62


Sesay 71

WEYMOUTH endured a severe lack of fortune at Farnborough, losing their Vanarama National League South clash 3-1 as they sank to the bottom of the table.

While the Terras deservedly trailed 2-0 after poor defending led to Ollie Robinson and Freddie Grant goals, there was a harsh round of bad luck in the second half.

Having made all three subs after 62 minutes, Luke Nippard was stretchered off as Weymouth played the remainder of the match with ten men.

Their response was spirited, David Sesay scorching a 30-yard rocket into the top-right corner but seconds later Jack Ball nearly made it four with a long-range bullet of his own.

READ MORE: Farnborough 3-1 Weymouth - how it happened

Despite their commendable second-half efforts, Weymouth could not prevent defeat and thanks to Hungerford’s 1-0 win at Cheshunt dropped to last place.

Weymouth boss Bobby Wilkinson made two changes to the side that began the 0-0 draw with St Albans City on Saturday.

In came Nahum Melvin-Lambert and Harvey Slade in place of the benched Harry Kyprianou and Brad Ash.

Weymouth named the same 16 that took to the field against St Albans, with Tom Blair serving the final match of a two-game suspension.

Keelan O'Connell (groin), Teddy Howe (knee) and Ben Thomson (ankle) remain injured.

Weymouth began slowly as Farnborough probed away at set-pieces.

With the Terras looking shaky in the face of long throws and corners, it came as no surprise when Boro pounced for the opening goal in the tenth minute.

Saied’s deflected strike earned the Yellows a corner that Weymouth could not clear and Robinson reacted quickest to bury the loose ball.

Weymouth’s first real sight of goal came in the 17th minute when pinball and head tennis in the area led to Nathan Carlyle volleying a chance over from close range.

Boro’s Conor Lawless then got away with a dangerous high boot, thudding into the chest of Nippard, before Weymouth began to gather momentum.

The Terras built a series of promising moves on the left but could not trouble home keeper Jack Turner.

At the other end, Boro gave the Terras an example of ruthless finishing when Robinson’s long throw was tamely nodded away by Carlyle into the path of Grant, whose tracer-bullet shot found the top corner for 2-0.

Melvin-Lambert went close with a header and Jamie Egan worked Turner with a fierce strike as Weymouth pushed on.

Wilkinson opted to hook Scott Rees on 39 minutes for Matt Buse in the last action of the half, perhaps in a sign of his discontent.

After a far from fluent first half, Melvin-Lambert tried to revive Weymouth’s fortunes by stealing possession from Turner.

However, the Reading loanee could not get a shot off and his cross to Tom Bearwish saw the move break down when the away skipper slipped.

That would be Melvin-Lambert’s last action as he and Slade way for Ash and Kyprianou seconds before a major double setback.

Nippard went down in considerable pain after sprinting for a bouncing ball and was stretchered off after receiving treatment.

Almost no sooner had Weymouth gone down to ten, the Terras were 3-0 down on the scoresheet as Saied stole in on the right and scored with a clinical strike.

Weymouth seemed buried at this point but a quite astonishing 30-yard scorcher from Sesay into the top-right corner gave the visitors a consolation.

The extraordinary long shots continued to rain in, Ball, scorer of the winner in the reverse fixture in October, lashing a 25-yarder against the bar and behind a relieved Zaki Oualah’s goal.

Weymouth pushed on for a second goal and Boro spurned chances for a fourth through sub Chike Kandi and John Oyenuga in an entertaining finale.

However, the Terras were consigned to their 20th league defeat of the season.

Farnborough: Turner, Ball, Grant, Robinson (Holmes 66) Lokko, Parsons (Fearn 76), Lawless, Page, Saied (Kandi 66), Oyenuga, Bloomfield. Subs not used: Silva, Norville-Williams.

Terras: Oualah, Nippard, Willson, Carlyle, Sesay, Rose, Bearwish, Egan, Melvin-Lambert (Kyprianou 55), Rees (Buse 39), Slade (Ash 55). Subs not used: McBurnie, Francis.

Referee: Robert Claussen