Gunson 30, Gwengwe 53


Busari 68, Wooden 70

DORCHESTER Town and Gosport Borough battled out their second 2-2 draw of the season in a fixating clash at the Avenue Stadium.

Just as in the reverse fixture, Dorchester went 2-0 up. This time, their goals came courtesy of a Charlie Gunson free-kick and Shaq Gwengwe’s fortuitous strike.

Gosport fought back strongly in the second half, sub Billie Busari poking home and Dan Wooden curling in his third goal against Dorchester this season.

Both sides went all-out for victory late on but a winning goal deserted them as the points were shared.

READ MORE: Dorchester Town 2-2 Gosport Borough - how it happened

The draw means Gosport boss Mark Molesley remains unbeaten as a manager away to Dorchester, having led Weymouth to 3-0, 1-0 and 4-2 wins during his spell in charge.

For Dorchester, this was further evidence that their performances are on the way up, although results have not fallen their way and they now fall to tenth, 13 points outside the play-offs.

Looking to bounce back from the 3-1 loss to Weston last time out, manager Glenn Howes made two changes to the starting line-up as Gunson and Alfie Stanley were recalled.

Keith Emmerson dropped to the bench, while Kieran Douglas began a two-match suspension for ten yellow cards.

Tiago Sa (knee) was fit and Dorchester welcomed under-23s midfielder Marcus Smith into their squad after his spell at Portland United came to an end.

Dorchester’s intent was clear from the first whistle as Harvey Bradbury, against the side he left before Christmas, fizzed a shot at Pat O’Flaherty just 42 seconds in.

At the other end, O’Flaherty’s opposite number Ryan Hall was called into action to sharply tip away Bradley Tarbuck’s strike 12 yards out.

Stanley then ran into friendly traffic in Bradbury when well placed in the box and Dorchester pressed on when Jordan Ngalo tested O’Flaherty from 25 yards.

However, the Magpies led through Gunson’s ninth goal of the season.

Bradbury was fouled around 25 yards from goal and Gunson’s free-kick floated over a stricken O’Flaherty and into the far corner on 30 minutes.

Gosport hunted an equaliser when ex-Weymouth winger Abdulai Baggie volleyed an excellent chance at Hall and Tarbuck swerved a sweet strike wide from 18 yards.

Dorchester led at the break and they doubled their tally eight minutes into the second half with more than a hint of fortune.

Gwengwe bulldozed his way over Alfie Saunders to win possession and create a one-on-one chance, the striker then avoiding a flying O’Flaherty lunge and finding the bottom corner.

The goal left the disbelieving Molesley with head in hands at the absence of a foul, but he saw his side mount a stirring recovery as they gradually took control.

Gosport displayed an attractive passing game, similar to Molesley’s time at Weymouth, and saw a headed chance for Wooden drift over.

Boro introduced Busari on 62 minutes and the substitute made an immediate impact, although Dorchester were unlucky not to win an indirect free-kick when O’Flaherty collected a Rory Williams passback, unseen by the officials.

Sixty seconds later, Busari nipped in front of the Dorchester defence and stabbed home from two yards for 2-1.

Busari then assisted Wooden for Boro’s second three minutes later, controlling a heavy pass and offloading to the striker who unleashed a dipping 20-yard shot out of Hall’s reach.

It was Dorchester’s turn to respond to adversity as Gunson whipped a free-kick at O’Flaherty and Stanley saw a sizzling drive blocked.

Gwengwe then appeared to be shoved over in the area, again the officials were unmoved, before Gunson’s 25-yarder was beaten clear by O’Flaherty.

Gosport finished strongly in stoppage-time but could not fashion another chance as the sides took home a point each.

Dorchester next travel to Bracknell on Saturday (3pm).

Magpies: Hall, Bertrand, Slough (Sa 66), Moyse, Buckley, Foot, Gunson, Ngalo, Bradbury, Gwengwe, Stanley. Subs not used: Emmerson, Toms, Smith.

Gosport: O'Flaherty, Saunders, Kinsella, R Williams, Briggs (K Williams 62), Hunt, Hollands, Baggie (Busari 62), Boutin, Tarbuck, Wooden (B Williams 79). Subs not used: Medway, Rew.

Referee: Antony Smith

Attendance: 403