Grant 15, Herbert 68


DORCHESTER Town were sent to a 2-0 defeat at promotion-chasing Bracknell Town as the Magpies’ drop-off in results continued.

Glenn Howes’ men have now lost seven of their past nine Pitching In Southern League Premier South games, two of which have been defeats to Bracknell.

And the Robins went ahead 15 minutes in when Joe Grant swept home, while Dorchester went close with two Charlie Gunson free-kicks.

Max Herbert hit the post for Bracknell seconds after half-time before adding the hosts’ second.

READ MORE: Bracknell Town 2-0 Dorchester Town - how it happened

Dorchester were grateful to Ryan Hall for several late saves to keep Bracknell from chalking up a bigger margin of victory.

Dorchester have now slipped outside the top half for the first time this season, with nine games to go.

Magpies’ boss Glenn Howes made two changes to the side that began the 2-2 draw with Gosport last time out.

Jordan Ngalo missed out from the squad entirely, while Harvey Bradbury has been loaned out to National League South promotion-chasers Dartford.

In came Keith Emmerson, stepping up from the bench, and Matty Neale after serving a three-game suspension for his red card against Hanwell.

New forward signing Lyle Simpson took his place on a four-man bench, joined by Tiago Sa, Lewis Toms and Marcus Smith.

Dorchester pressed early on but saw Charlie Gunson’s free-kick block shortly before Bracknell took a 15th-minute lead stemming from a set-play of their own.

The Robins put together a training ground routine to carve out space in the area for Grant, who was left with a simple finish from a Dan Bayliss pass.

Dorchester then worked an opening for a quick response as Alfie Stanley, without a league goal for two months, was denied by Bracknell keeper Mike Eacott.

Frustration grew for the Magpies when no attacking player gambled on Louie Slough’s delectable cross, Shaq Gwengwe coming closest to connecting.

Hall rescued Dorchester by denying Grant following a defensive error but the Magpies still carried a threat at the other end as Gunson’s deflected free-kick was repelled by Eacott.

From the resulting corner, Gunson’s deep delivery nearly crept in at the far post.

Dorchester were well in the game at half-time but the Magpies nearly fell two goals behind seconds after the restart when Herbert’s effort thudded off the base of the far post.

Gunson once more tested Eacott with a free-kick before a Bracknell clearance created their next chance, Kamaron English thinking fast to get in behind and force Hall into action.

Howes handed Simpson his debut at the expense of Stanley on 61 minutes but his introduction did little to stop Bracknell’s productivity as Hall repelled English for a second time.

However, Hall was powerless to prevent Bracknell’s second goal as Herbert swept home a cross from out wide.

Sa replaced Emmerson as Dorchester freshened up, although Hall was the busier keeper and produced an impressive double save with ten minutes go.

There was late pressure for a route back into the game for Dorchester as Alex Moyse, on free-kick duties after Gunson’s withdrawal for Toms, had a set-piece palmed clear.

Bracknell’s defence then smothered Gwengwe’s follow-up as the Robins proved why they appear destined for the play-offs by extinguishing Dorchester’s most threatening moments.

Dorchester could not engineer a further chance in the three minutes of added time as the Magpies were sentenced to a fifth straight away league defeat.

Dorchester host Beaconsfield Town on Tuesday evening (7.45pm).

Bracknell: Eacott, Tack, Herbert, Fraser, Bayliss, Grant, Lodge, Knight (Legg 46), Harris (Platt 61), Sanders, English (Abisogun 70). Subs not used: Richards, Osu. 

Magpies: Hall, Bertrand, Slough, Emmerson (Sa 70), Buckley, Foot, Gunson (Toms 82), Moyse, Stanley (Simpson 61), Gwengwe, Neale. Sub not used: Smith.

Referee: Charlie Bullock

Attendance: 241