Bearwish 35 pen, Ash 65


WEYMOUTH stayed alive in the Vanarama National League South with a gritty 2-0 win over Slough Town at the Bob Lucas Stadium.

Slough hit the woodwork twice before Tom Bearwish put Weymouth ahead from the spot on 35 minutes.

Weymouth never looked back after taking the lead and Brad Ash slid home his 22nd goal of the season to make sure of the points.

Dulwich’s 1-1 draw at Hungerford, Dover’s 3-0 loss at Farnborough and Cheshunt’s 2-1 win over Bath put Weymouth 23rd, five points off safety with two games remaining.

READ MORE: Weymouth 2-0 Slough - how it happened

Weymouth boss Bobby Wilkinson made two changes to the side that began the 2-1 loss at Hampton & Richmond Borough last time out.

Keelan O'Connell dropped to the bench, while there was no place in the squad for experienced midfielder Scott Rees.

Replacing the duo were Harvey Slade, who moved up the starting XI, while exciting youngster Frankie Monk is included in the matchday 16.

Ahkeem Rose was the other new addition to the XI, returning after a bout of illness.

Joining Monk and O'Connell on the bench were Archie Procter, Xander McBurnie and Harry Kyprianou.

There was no place in the squad for Hari McCoy, while in the Slough line-up, former Weymouth goalkeeper Will Dennis started in goal.

Before the match, a minute's applause was held for Weymouth fan of 70 years, Brian Edwards, after he recently passed away.

Dorset Echo: Weymouth were led out with flags and mascots for their final home game of the seasonWeymouth were led out with flags and mascots for their final home game of the season (Image: MARK PROBIN)

Given the magnitude of the game, Weymouth looked off the pace from the start and were grateful to the covering Teddy Howe as Brendan Willson committed a poor foul just ten seconds in.

The Eastleigh loanee misjudged a long ball and brought down George Alexander who was otherwise clean through. Howe’s presence saved the centre-back from a red, as he earned only yellow.

Weymouth lacked quality up top in response, Bearwish and Tom Blair blasting wild efforts out of the stadium.

But Slough began to take a stranglehold on the game as Johnny Goddard and Matt Lench worked Gerard Benfield into sharp low saves, sandwiching a Josh Jackman volley against the post.

After Slough’s trio of efforts, Shane Bush’s cross held up in the wind and clipped the top of the bar.

Weymouth were now officially hanging on as Willson’s diving header whizzed past his own far post, but he was well positioned to block a shot and then, more impressively, make a headed clearance off the line from Alexander’s looping header, despite running towards his own goal.

With backs against the wall, it took a penalty out of nothing to give Weymouth the lead.

Blair’s pace earned the spot-kick, speeding into the area and drawing a foul from Joe Dandy, who may well feel hard done by given Blair had booted the ball out of play in the process.

Keeping his calm through the chaos was Bearwish, his penalty drilled straight down the middle past Dennis with the Bournemouth loanee’s antics on the goalline proving futile.

Dorset Echo: Tom Bearwish netted the Terras' first goal from the spotTom Bearwish netted the Terras' first goal from the spot (Image: MARK PROBIN)

Slough’s Ogo Obi curled over in the final action of the half and, just as with last week at Hampton, Weymouth had earned a 1-0 lead for the second period.

Slough switched Lee Togwell for Gabriel George at half-time but Weymouth this time made the better start, and rued their luck as Dennis pulled off a high-quality save.

Max Hemmings unleashed a rocket from 20 yards that looked destined to bulge the net, only for the Bournemouth loanee to get down rapidly and tip his effort round the post.

Dennis thwarted Weymouth by tipping clear a thunderous Bearwish volley after Willson’s deft header at the back post, but the keeper could do nothing bout Weymouth’s second.

Slade’s drilled head-high cross from the right shaped towards the back post when Ash showed hunger and desire to poke the ball through Dennis on the stretch in the 65th minute.

Dorset Echo: Brad Ash is mobbed by teammates after putting Weymouth 2-0 upBrad Ash is mobbed by teammates after putting Weymouth 2-0 up (Image: MARK PROBIN)

With the comfort of a second goal behind them, Weymouth went close to a third as Bearwish stormed into the box and slid a cross along the six-yard box.

Once more, Dennis was on hand to deny the hosts as Bush hoicked towards his own goal.

Wilkinson removed the diligent Slade for O’Connell with 11 minutes remaining and Weymouth continued to look the likelier to score, Rose denied by a brave Dennis stop after a fabulous run from Howe.

Monk got three of the six added minutes to stretch his legs at the expense of Rose as Weymouth closed out a precious three points that sets up a hugely exciting last week.

Weymouth visit Taunton on Tuesday (7.45pm).

Terras: Benfield, Howe, Carlyle, Willson, Sesay, Bearwish, Hemmings, Slade (O’Connell 79), Blair, Rose (Monk 90+3), Ash. Subs not used: Procter, McBurnie, Kyprianou.

Slough: Dennis, Jackman, Woodhouse (Benyon 69), Bush, Dandy, Togwell (George 46) Lench, Obi, Goddard, Owen (Kayani 69), Alexander. Sub not used: Davies.

Referee: Liam Corbett.

Attendance: 1,226.