Ferdinand 63


Slough 52, Gwengwe 76, Neale 90+4

DORCHESTER Town signed off their Pitching In Southern League Premier South season by completing the double over Met Police with an impressive 3-1 win.

The Magpies have now matched their best finish since 2015/16, securing 13th with 54 points.

Louie Slough set them on their way to victory, reacting quickest after Matty Neale’s corner hit the woodwork.

Liam Ferdinand, a target for Dorchester last summer, equalised but Shaq Gwengwe tucked home for 2-1 after his lob was cleared off the line.

READ MORE: Hamworthy United in ground share talks with Dorchester Town

And Neale made sure of back-to-back wins to close the season out, finishing the contest in the 94th minute for Dorchester’s first win at Imber Court since the Blues sidestepped into the division.

Dorchester boss Glenn Howes made three changes to the side that beat Hendon 3-2 last time out.

Keith Emmerson has retired, while Yeovil loanee Jake Graziano missed out completely and Charlie Gunson was dropped to the bench to protect a hamstring injury.

Replacing the trio were skipper Callum Buckley, Jordi Foot and Neale. Buckley (calf) and Foot (chest infection) were fully fit after recent ailments.

Dorchester were immediately on the front foot and were denied a fourth-minute penalty when Shaq Gwengwe went down in the box under close attention from the covering defence.

Gwengwe fired over from long-range before Met responded through Laurence Ernest’s strike from distance, working away keeper Ryan Hall.

Herson Alves had the clearest chance of the half when he headed over a free-kick but Dorchester hit back when Alfie Stanley lashed wide after attractive combination play with Gwengwe.

Stanley rifled over another opening after Foot’s enterprising run on the right and, aside from two tame Met free-kicks, the Magpies had little else to defend in the first period.

That prompted the hosts to introduce Ferdinand for Alves at the break but instead it was Dorchester who got their noses in front.

Neale’s wicked delivery from a corner deceived everyone as it clattered against the woodwork but Slough was in the right place to benefit, guiding a finish home for his second goal of the season.

However, the Met were only behind for 11 minutes as former Weymouth striker Martell Taylor-Crossdale’s shot proved too hot for Hall to handle and Ferdinand pounced to equalise.

Hall atoned with a good save from the Blues’ Conor Lee before Dorchester retook the lead.

Gwengwe used his troublesome pace to reach a long ball first, lobbing home keeper Dean Longman and, after an extraordinary clearance off the line, Gwengwe completed the job for his 13th league goal this season.

Sub Jamie Howell nearly made it 3-1 after beating his man and curling just past the far post.

But his chance was a mere breather from heavy Met pressure as the hosts threw everything at the Magpies.

Dorchester nerves jangled when a Lee free-kick crunched against the bar in the 88th minute but, in the last minute of stoppage-time Neale broke into space to finally put the game to bed.

It means Dorchester finished the season with wins over Hendon and the Met, ensuring a fifth away league victory of the campaign.

Met Police: Longman, Lee, Fisher, Taylor, Birch, Ernest, Keeya (Burrowes 80), Robertson, Taylor-Crossdale (Mather 75), Alves (Ferdinand 46), Allen. Sub not used: Sole.

Magpies: Hall, Foot, Sa (Howell 68), Slough, Buckley, Douglas, Moyse, Ngalo (Toms 47), Gwengwe, Stanley (Bertrand 90), Neale. Sub not used: Gunson.

Referee: Stephen Hawkes.

Attendance: 263.