Hanger 87, Baker 90


Bearwish 48 pen, Stagg 69, Rossiter 84

WEYMOUTH claimed their second-straight pre-season win, beating Wimborne Town 3-2 at a soggy New Cuthbury.

After an evenly-matched opening half, Weymouth unlocked the home defence as Joel Rollinson’s promising run was abruptly ended in the box, Tom Bearwish converting the penalty.

Tommy Stagg pounced on an error for 2-0 before fellow sub Elliot Rossiter swept home a third.

Wimborne, who barely threatened in the second period, grabbed late goals through Oakley Hanger and ex-Weymouth striker Harry Baker, but the Terras held on to book another win.

READ MORE: Weymouth to play some friendlies with nine men, says Bobby Wilkinson

With Wimborne undoubtedly providing a step up in class from the 3-2 win over Step 5 side Shaftesbury on Thursday, Weymouth were slower to get going.

Wimborne started on the front foot as ex-Dorchester left-back Sam Jackson’s low cross was gathered by Gerard Benfield, making his return to New Cuthbury.

The sides cancelled each other out until the 17th minute when Weymouth skipper Tom Bearwish sent a weak effort at former Barnet keeper Ross Flitney and later headed over a rising cross.

Wimborne always looked a threat on the break and Harry Morgan fired at Benfield inside the box, the keeper making a smart reaction save at his near post.

Weymouth struggled to make the breakthrough as Wimborne continuously and easily dealt with their long balls, searching to unlock the pace of Dan Roberts and Stagg.

The Terras did build up a head of steam in the final ten minutes of the half, Anthony Cheshire heading over from new man Dylan Adjei-Hersey’s corner and Harvey Slade firing wide from 18 yards.

However, Wimborne gave a reminder of their quality when Lewis Beale wasted a good chance, flashing a header over on the stroke of half-time.

Weymouth needed only three minutes of the second half to score, though.

Sub Joel Rollinson embarked on a mazy run into the box and drew a needless tackle to win a penalty, Bearwish stepping up to convert by sending ex-Terras keeper Bert White, a half-time sub, the wrong way.

Chris McQueen, one of four half-time subs including Calvin Brooks, Nelson Iseguan and Rollinson, fired a deflected effort wide and Rollinson tested White with a fierce shot as thunder, lightning and torrential rain began to greet the players.

The rain slickened up a lush pitch and aided Weymouth’s efforts to move the ball quickly as they swept crosses into the box at every opportunity.

Their second goal came from a half-clearance by Billy Walker, the centre-half failing to deal fully with a cross as Stagg zoned in and rifled a venomous first-time effort beyond White.

Dorset Echo: Tommy Stagg, number 11, scored his second goal in two gamesTommy Stagg, number 11, scored his second goal in two games (Image: MARK PROBIN)

Rollinson then gave another indication as to his quality, drawing a foul from ex-Dorchester right-back Hanger and then curling the free-kick inches over the near angle.

Rollinson placed over after a good exchange with Slade and sub Rossiter was denied a goal in the 83rd minute by a good retreating challenge.

Just 60 seconds later, Rossiter would have his goal as he expertly guided a Teddy Howe cross into the far corner.

Wimborne left it late to grab two consolation goals as a Hanger free-kick floated into the far corner and Baker then converted a Hanger delivery at the far post.

They were the Magpies’ only two serious efforts of the half, Weymouth able to see out victory without any further danger.

Terras: Benfield, Howe, Hamblin (Iseguan 46), Rowan (McQueen 46), Cheshire, Slade, Bearwish (Monk 68), Adjei-Hersey (C Brooks 46), Stagg, Roberts (Rossiter 59), O’Connell (Rollinson 46).

Attendance: 387.