Lee 8


WEYMOUTH sustained their first defeat of pre-season with a 1-0 reverse at Poole Town.

Tony Lee’s eighth-minute goal, coming against a club he left almost exactly five years ago, was the difference between the sides.

His strike was the first real goalmouth action of the friendly, Lee showing trademark striker’s instincts to sweep home Harvey Wright’s cross.

Weymouth could only respond through Tommy Stagg, the forward pulling a 17th-minute shot wide of the target.

READ MORE: Weymouth 2-1 AFC Bournemouth Development - report

Poole were desperately unlucky not to double their lead when another former Weymouth player, Jack Dickson, unleashed a missile destined for the top corner until Gerard Benfield magnificently clawed the shot away.

Shortly after Tom Bearwish nodded straight at Poole keeper Luke Cairney, the Dolphins were once more denied by Benfield as the keeper tipped clear Toby Holmes’ low shot.

Chances continued to flow at either end as Norman Wabo was denied his first Weymouth goal by Cairney’s feet, Bearwish skied a volley over and Benfield conjured an agile save to keep out Lee’s athletic effort.

Lee then wasted a golden chance for his second after the break, somehow failing to finish from close-range.

Weymouth were restricted to two shots from distance, left-back Leo Hamblin aiming an ambitious shot at Cairney before sub Joel Rollinson came within an inch of levelling with a 25-yard free-kick that whistled over.

The duo were two of seven changes at the break for Weymouth, including the end of a 45-minute cameo for ex-captain Josh McQuoid, and midway through the half they made an eighth when Frankie Monk replaced Wabo.

Were it not for Benfield, though, Weymouth would undoubtedly have conceded more as he blocked Dickson for a third time before keeping out Holmes’ astute flick.

Nine minutes from time, Cam Murray nearly grabbed a goal against his former club, drilling past the right-hand post.

However, Weymouth very nearly stole an equaliser at the death but Poole’s defence breathed a sigh of relief when the chance was headed wide in the last notable action of the match.

Weymouth next travel to another Southern League side on Saturday, Swindon Supermarine their hosts (3pm).

Terras: Benfield, Howe (Adjei-Hersey 46), McQueen, Cheshire (Rowan 46), Green (Hamblin 46), McQuoid (Rollinson 46), Bearwish (Stephens 46), Rees, Stagg (C Brooks 46), M Brooks (Roberts 46), Wabo. Subs not used: Iseguan, Slade.