Dowling 45+1


Roberts 45, Monk 53

WEYMOUTH came through a rigorous pre-season assignment at Swindon Supermarine, winning 2-1 at the Webbswood Stadium.

Dan Roberts broke the deadlock for the Terras just before half-time, but Supermarine found room for an instant equaliser by George Dowling.

However, a first goal of pre-season for highly-rated Frankie Monk restored Weymouth’s lead and the visitors preserved their advantage to book a fourth victory of the summer.

Conditions were anything but summery with wind and rain lashing the players, giving the game more of an October feel to it.

Weymouth nevertheless used the zippy surface to ping passes around their lower-league opponents, who did well to combat the Terras’ approach early on.

READ MORE: Weymouth players try on new kit for first time

Norman Wabo fired two chances off target and Anthony Cheshire cleared the bar with a header as Weymouth probed away.

Keelan O’Connell then registered Weymouth’s first shot on target, testing new signing Charlie Searle with a shot from distance which needed palming clear.

Weymouth were still unrewarded as Roberts bent a speculative effort just wide before he nodded over from a searching Leo Hamblin cross.

However, he made amends at the third time of asking, finally beating Searle in the Marine goal.

Supermarine would be behind for just a matter of seconds, though, as Dowling’s 20-yard shot packed enough power to beat Gerard Benfield in the away goal.

Weymouth made nine changes at the break and as the Terras adjusted they gave up the first chance of the second half, Benfield showing his alertness to make a brave block with his leg.

His efforts paid dividends when Tommy Stagg pounced on a loose ball and supplied Monk to finish well beyond Searle on 53 minutes, restoring Weymouth’s lead.

Dorset Echo: Frankie Monk, 20, restores Weymouth's leadFrankie Monk, 20, restores Weymouth's lead (Image: MARK PROBIN)

Midway through the half, an injury to Nelson Iseguan forced the Terras into playing with ten men for the remainder.

Although their numerical disadvantage was planned, as hinted at by boss Bobby Wilkinson earlier this summer, they had instead hoped to rest right-back Teddy Howe.

Weymouth did not create any further chances of note thereafter but did well to control the majority of possession as Supermarine also rang through a catalogue of changes.

And another injury blow for Weymouth was dealt late into the friendly as Stagg went off and was later taken to hospital with a suspected dislocated shoulder.

Dorset Echo: Tommy Stagg, right, was taken off with a suspected dislocated shoulderTommy Stagg, right, was taken off with a suspected dislocated shoulder (Image: MARK PROBIN)

There were no further alarms for Weymouth but the Terras will now have two more players in the treatment room going into Tuesday’s home match with Southampton B (7.45pm).

Terras: Benfield, Howe, Hamblin (Rees 46), Davies (Rowan 46), Cheshire (Iseguan 46), Roberts (M Brooks 46), Bearwish (Harlan 46), Wabo (Adjei-Hersey 46), O’Connell (Goodship 46), Rollinson (Stagg 46), Hemmings (Monk 46).