Roberts 36


Morgan 65

WEYMOUTH were denied all three points as Taunton Town came from behind to draw 1-1 at the Bob Lucas Stadium.

Dan Roberts headed Weymouth in front but Taunton equalised in the second half through Dylan Morgan’s composed finish.

Weymouth twice hit the woodwork but could not find a winner as they moved on to four points from three Vanarama National League South games.

Weymouth boss Bobby Wilkinson made just one change to the XI that began the 1-0 win over Dartford on Saturday.

READ MORE: Weymouth 1-1 Taunton Town - how it happened

Keelan O'Connell dropped down to the bench, with David Sesay swapping places with him.

In the dugout, Teddy Howe missed out completely from the matchday 16, Nahum Melvin-Lambert coming in at his expense.

Norman Wabo, Frankie Monk and Scott Rees were Weymouth's other options from the bench.

In Wilkinson’s 50th competitive game in charge, Weymouth were hoping to improve on a dreadful run of 15 Tuesday night home losses in 18.

Taunton tried their best to stick to that form guide early on, Zac Smith lashing against the side-netting from Ollie Chamberlain’s cross in just the second minute.

Weymouth took a while to find their attacking stride as Joel Rollinson’s cutback to Brandon Goodship was intercepted before the winger had a free-kick punched clear by Town keeper Dan Lavercombe.

Chances were in short supply at either end but Taunton began to grow into the game on the half-hour mark.

Lee Lucas tested Weymouth keeper Gerard Benfield with an awkward free-kick and moments later Dave Sims-Burgess narrowly failed to connect with a skidding low cross.

Weymouth also upped their game as Goodship examined Lavercombe’s handling with a dipping shot before the Terras took the lead.

Their goal came from a splendid inswinging cross by Rollinson, Roberts rising high between two defenders to power home a header for his maiden Terras strike.

Roberts later scooped a good chance for 2-0 over after good work by Sesay and Rollinson nearly added a goal to his assist, curling a beauty against the post with Calvin Brooks swamped by defenders on the follow-up.

Josh McQuoid was then involved in a flashpoint before the break and, after a long stoppage, he was not booked, leading to opposing frustrations on the touchline.

The result saw Taunton boss Rob Dray and Wilkinson both booked by referee Lewis Sandoe.

Taunton made all three permitted changes by the 49-minute mark and a long stoppage for treatment to Anthony Cheshire deprived the match of momentum.

When play restarted, Taunton were the first to regain their fluency as Lloyd James forced a solid stop from Benfield following Morgan’s square pass.

However, Taunton were soon level as Morgan burst through on goal, seized upon slight hesitation from Benfield and rounded the keeper to level on 65 minutes.

Tom Bearwish saw a shot blocked in Weymouth’s first half-chance after the equaliser, before the hosts were prompted into three switches.

O’Connell and Monk came on for Goodship and Sesay and soon afterwards Rees was introduced for a hobbling Brooks.

Weymouth’s alterations allowed them to control possession but chances remained infrequent for the Terras heading into the final ten minutes.

Monk made a real impact after coming on and his positive surge forward created a chance for Leo Hamblin, whose sweet strike was deflected behind for a corner which came to nothing.

Monk appeared the driving force for Weymouth in the closing stages and his low shot in the 91st minute nearly crept in at the near post past Lavercombe.

As Weymouth pushed on, Taunton were clinging on as Rees flicked a header against the post and Morgan gifted a free-kick away for handball moments later.

Rollinson was allowed two attempts after referee Sandoe appeared not to pay attention to his first effort, leading to protests and another yellow on the Taunton bench.

Rollinson chipped his second effort to the back post but Lavercombe drew a foul to invite the final whistle, ensuring the points were shared.

Terras: Benfield, C Brooks (Rees 79), Cheshire, Rowan, Hamblin, Sesay (O’Connell 74), McQuoid, Bearwish, Rollinson, Goodship (Monk 74), Roberts. Subs not used: Wabo, Melvin-Lambert.

Taunton: Lavercombe, Grimes, Booth, Chamberlain (Day 45+3), James, Jarvis (McCootie 46), Smith, Evans, Sims-Burgess (Stearn 49), Morgan, Lucas. Subs not used: Minzamba, Irish.

Referee: Lewis Sandoe

Attendance: 1,252