Le Thomas 61, Gwengwe 72 pen


Campbell 10

DORCHESTER Town made it back-to-back Pitching In Southern League Premier South wins with a fine fightback against Swindon Supermarine.

Dorchester looked off the pace for large periods on a baking hot day at the Avenue Stadium and went 1-0 down in the tenth minute thanks to Ryan Campbell’s deflected shot.

Dorchester failed to register a shot on target until the hour mark when Leighton Thomas’ fine piece of control allowed him to acrobatically volley home an equaliser.

His goal lifted the Magpies and their home faithful, Shaq Gwengwe winning and netting a penalty for 2-1 just 18 minutes from time.

READ MORE: Dorchester Town 2-1 Swindon Supermarine - how it happened

However, Ed Williams hit the post late on for Supermarine and tempers flared in the dugout in injury-time as Dorchester coach Brian Churchill and Marine caretaker boss Rhys Evans saw red.

But Dorchester will go away the happier side after an at times stale performance, backing up the 2-1 win at Poole to consolidate 17th and inflict a seventh straight loss on managerless Supermarine.

Dorchester made three changes to the side that began the 2-0 loss to Plymouth Parkway last time out.

In came Jack Wright, who recovered from a hamstring injury, plus Louie Slough and Harvey-Joe Bertrand.

Missing out completely for The Magpies was Olaf Koszela, while Jordi Foot and Alex Moyse were benched.

Benjani Jr and Ieuan Turner retained their places in the squad but Jake Graziano was omitted and watched from the stands.

Callum Buckley made a welcome return to the squad since suffering a knee injury.

With both sides feeling their way to the game amid oppressive heat, amplified by the artificial surface, the first big chance came in the tenth minute.

And it produced a goal as Ryan Campbell sprinted to the byline, his effort taking a heavy touch off a defender and spinning into the far corner from a tight angle.

Dorchester looked bereft of ideas going forward and a sign of their fragmented play came on 27 minutes when Jordi Barnett’s deflected shot trickled harmlessly to keeper Louis Evans despite the midfielder having options either side.

Barnett went far closer in Dorchester’s best effort of the half, following tenacious work by Ollie Haste to win a free-kick on the edge of the area.

The former Yeovil full-back made sweet contact with his left-footed strike, only to guide the set-piece narrowly over the far angle.

After the break, Lewis Waterfield kicked at fresh air from Jordan Ngalo’s lay-off and Marine responded with a cheeky George Dowling free-kick, rippling the side netting.

Dorchester boss Glenn Howes made his first change on 55 minutes, bringing on Foot for Alfie Saunders, and the alteration worked seven minutes later.

Foot’s throw-in was superbly controlled and then acrobatically volleyed in off the underside of the bar by Thomas for 1-1.

Such a stupendous finish lifted the crowd and players, so it came as no surprise when Dorchester first dominated for the next ten minutes before netting a second.

Gwengwe showed great pace and strength to skirt round the edge of centre-back Matt Liddiard and he was brought down in the area to win a spot-kick.

Gwengwe dusted himself down and converted the penalty with power into the roof of the net for his sixth goal this season already.

The striker with Malawian heritage nodded wide a Barnett corner but Supermarine gave the Magpies a huge fright late on.

Zack Kotwica’s chip found Williams and he was unfortunate to see his lob over the onrushing Lloyd Thomas cannon back off the inside of the post, although there were suspicions of handball when he controlled the pass.

Buckley replaced Barnett for extra experience late on as Dorchester attempted to protect their lead in a frenetic finale.

The officials did not point out how many minutes of added time there would be, raising the tempers of both dugouts.

And, when Churchill had words with Campbell at a throw-in, the situation spilled over as the Magpies’ coach was sent off for his part in the incident, allegedly pushing caretaker Evans at neck height.

Evans also saw red for his reaction in the aftermath but Dorchester saw the game out without further niggle to claim their second win of the campaign.

Howes’ Magpies travel to Hungerford Town on Tuesday (7.45pm).

Magpies: Ll Thomas, Saunders (Foot 55), Haste, Wright, Ngalo, Slough, Barnett (Buckley 87), Waterfield (Moyse 60), Le Thomas, Gwengwe, Bertrand. Subs not used: Benjani Jr, Turner.

Supermarine: Evans, Turl, Ibrahim (Andrews 80), Edge, Liddiard, Sesay, H Spalding (Irving 72), Dowling (Tumelty 78), Kotwica, Williams, Campbell. Sub not used: Searle.

Referee: Jacob Wright.