Bearwish 90+2


Hayfield 39, Wilson 76

WEYMOUTH were knocked out of the Emirates FA Cup third qualifying round by an impressive Bath City, the Romans winning 2-1 at the Bob Lucas Stadium.

Goals in each half from Dan Hayfield and Scott Wilson proved the difference for the National League South leaders.

Tom Bearwish’s late free-kick gave the scoreline a closer feel than the match suggested, with Bath largely comfortable and Weymouth misfiring in a fragmented display.

Weymouth manager Bobby Wilkinson made two changes to the starting XI that began the 1-1 draw with Chippenham last weekend.

READ MORE: Weymouth 1-2 Bath City - how it happened

In came striker Dan Roberts, along with centre-half Anthony Cheshire.

Ben Thomson dropped to the bench, while Jordon Thompson was suspended following his red card against Chippenham.

Joining Thomson on the bench were Brandon Goodship, David Sesay, Frankie Monk and Elliott Bolton, who retained their places.

Goalkeeping coach Jason Matthews was also named, despite Harry Dillon warming up with the Terras.

And Weymouth also listed a new name among their ranks, Moe Shubbar having joined the Terras after being released by Rochdale this week, scoring twice in Weymouth Under-23s' 10-0 win over Stoneham.

Weymouth were dealt a blow in the warm-up when Charlie Rowan hobbled off, thrusting Sesay into the line-up with Leo Hamblin moving inside to left centre-back in a back three with wing-backs.

And the first chance of the game fell to Weymouth’s right wing-back Teddy Howe inside 40 seconds.

Bath’s Wilson gifted possession to Harvey Slade and the midfielder glided upfield before finding skipper Tom Bearwish.

Howe was free on the overlap but side-footed his effort wide of the near post.

Weymouth then enjoyed success with a long ball as Roberts nodded towards Ezio Touray, only for the ex-Watford man to nudge weakly at Bath keeper Ollie Wright.

Wilson atoned for his earlier error by registering Bath’s first shot on target, outmuscling Cheshire before hooking a volley at Gerard Benfield, the Weymouth keeper making a good low stop to his left.

The tricky Ewan Clark created Bath’s next opening, spinning in midfield before clipping a delightful ball to meet the late run of Wilson, who flicked a header just wide of the far angle.

Weymouth could only respond when Sesay’s looping header cleared the bar, shortly before Bath really upped the ante.

The Romans nearly went ahead on 37 minutes when Hayfield beat the Weymouth defence to poke at Benfield, Cheshire then crucially blocking Wilson’s follow-up.

However, just two minutes later Jerry Gill’s men were ahead.

Another flowing move, made possible by Bath’s exciting fluid 3-5-2 formation, saw Luke Russe run from deep and get to the byline, volleying a cross to Hayfield who skirted across his man to head home.

Benfield did manage to get a touch but Hayfield was too close for him to do anything other than tip the effort into the top corner.

Bath could have added a second in first-half injury time but for a deflection forcing City captain Kieran Parselle’s attempt just wide.

Weymouth began the second half brightly but could not fashion a chance, whereas Bath always carried a threat with two chances for Clark.

Firstly he went close after executing a stunning Zidane turn in the box, his shot blocked, before he cut inside from the right and curled inches wide of the near post.

Wilkinson was forced into three changes with the Terras struggling to exert any pressure, Shubbar coming on for his debut with Thomson and Bolton introduced. Slade, Sesay and Roberts all made way.

The alterations nearly paid off in the 69th minute when Weymouth were somehow denied, Thomson at point-blank range by City keeper Ollie Wright and Howe on the line by a brave header.

Any hopes of a Weymouth fightback were dampened 14 minutes from time, however.

Benfield did superbly well to tip Jordan Dyer’s thumping header from a corner onto the bar but the rebound fell kindly for Wilson who bundled home from two yards having reacted quickest.

Weymouth could not muster a response other than Leo Hamblin’s mishit cross forcing Wright into a good save.

The Terras played four up front in the final minutes but their build-up play lacked cohesion and fluency to unlock a watertight Bath defence.

That was until the second of seven added minutes when Touray was bunted off the ball, earning a foul.

Bearwish stood over the free-kick and his dipping delivery floated its way into the far corner to give Weymouth a lifeline.

As Bath nerves jangled, Weymouth managed one final chance as Bearwish stole possession in midfield and found Touray.

His touch took him wide and Bath got back to block the effort, Hamblin screaming at his teammate as he appeared to be running onto the ball in a better position.

The opportunity was symptomatic of a frustrating day for the Terras where nothing clicked, Bath going through to take home the £5,625 in prize money and Weymouth consoled with £1,875.

Terras: Benfield, Brooks, Sesay (Thomson 60), Cheshire, Howe, Hamblin, Durojaiye, Slade (Bolton 66), Bearwish, Touray, Roberts (Shubbar 60). Subs not used: Goodship, Monk, Matthews.

Bath: Wright, Raynes, Dyer, Batten (Morgan 81), Parselle, Hayfield, Smith, Clark (Fletcher 89), Thomas (Frear 74), Wilson, Russe. Subs not used: Forster, Lines, Cook.

Referee: Liam Corbett.

Attendance: 1,085.