WEYMOUTH dug deep to earn a point at Slough Town in a goalless draw at Arbour Park.

Slough were dominant in the first half, Gerard Benfield making several big saves to keep the Rebels at bay.

Weymouth improved in the second half but again Slough had the better chances, George Alexander missing an open goal.

Tom Bearwish’s 20-yarder turned out to be Weymouth’s only shot on target but the Terras showed huge courage to see out a point and record their first clean sheet since the 1-0 win over Dartford.

READ MORE: Slough Town 0-0 Weymouth - how it happened

Weymouth made two changes to the starting line-up that began the 2-1 FA Cup loss to Bath City last week.

David Sesay and Olu Durojaiye were omitted from the squad entirely, with Jordon Thompson returning and Brandon Goodship recalled to the XI.

Dorset Echo: Jordon Thompson returned to Weymouth's starting XI after suspensionJordon Thompson returned to Weymouth's starting XI after suspension (Image: MARK PROBIN)

Weymouth welcomed back Scott Rees and Charlie Rowan to the bench after recent niggles, while Joel Rollinson also earned his place in the 16.

Elliott Bolton and Ben Thomson kept their places in the dugout.

Due to the league only permitting five subs, compared with the FA Cup’s seven, newly-signed forward Moe Shubbar missed out, along with goalkeeping coach Jason Matthews.

There was also no place in the squad for Frankie Monk, who played on Thursday in the Terras' under-23s’ 3-0 win at Millbrook.

Weymouth came into the game unbeaten in their last five matches with Slough, winning four of them.

However, Slough were in the midst of a six-game undefeated run in all competitions this season and showed why in a dominant first-half display.

The Rebels did almost everything but score and set the tone by winning a corner in the first minute from Dan Bayliss’ long ball.

Nathan Minhas then blazed a good chance over the bar before the major flashpoint of the half.

Centre-half Bayliss was once again at the heart of it, his header at goal causing Gerard Benfield to spill the effort and Weymouth frantically hooked off the line.

Dorset Echo: Gerard Benfield, right, was the busier of the two goalkeepersGerard Benfield, right, was the busier of the two goalkeepers (Image: MARK PROBIN)

The clearances sparked a run of successive corners before Anthony Cheshire headed clear to relieve the pressure.

Weymouth did not help themselves by frequently giving away possession with overhit long balls, but they were handed a let-off when Minhas’ dink appeared to strike Cheshire’s arm in the box.

The officials waved play on and in the very next attack Weymouth produced their brightest moment of the half as Teddy Howe infiltrated the area to draw a big tackle from Bayliss, winning a corner.

Leo Hamblin then chipped a good cross to the back post but Slough defended strongly to extinguish the attack.

Benfield kept his best save of the half to superbly deny Johnny Goddard’s rising drive, destined for the top-right corner, before Weymouth’s next attack.

Former Slough striker Dan Roberts ghosted into the box to win a corner but Tom Bearwish’s delivery was too deep to create a chance before the welcome half-time break.

Dorset Echo: Dan Roberts, left, played against his former clubDan Roberts, left, played against his former club (Image: MARK PROBIN)

Weymouth improved in the second half but still struggled to test Rohan Luthra in the Rebels’ goal.

Slough carried the greater threat when they came forward, Ezio Touray doing well to head off the line, before Goddard wasted another good chance.

Luthra commanded his area well to sweep the ball off the head of Roberts in Weymouth’s next attack, and Slough were guilty of yet another blunder in front of goal on the hour.

Cheshire gave the ball away to Minhas and he picked out George Alexander whose weak effort with the goal at his mercy was touched behind by the recovering Thompson.

Weymouth later threw on Thomson for Roberts and were forced to sub off Howe for Rollinson due to injury in the final quarter of the game.

With the match in the balance and Weymouth having quelled Slough’s threat somewhat, all three results remained possible in the final ten minutes.

Weymouth posted their first shot on target in the 81st minute as Goodship offloaded to Bearwish but his strike from around 20 yards was gathered by Luthra.

Slough made a double change on 84 minutes in a bid to win the game, Tom McElroy and David Ogbonna coming on for Dom Hutchinson and Alexander.

Neither side could muster a chance before the game entered a breathless six added minutes.

Slough first had appeals for handball in the box waved away and Weymouth piled on pressure at the other end without creating an opening.

Ogbonna then nicked possession and raced upfield where he was denied by a stunning tackle from Cheshire.

That gave Slough territory and Weymouth held firm under a barrage of aerial balls to earn a precious point despite being far from their best.

Slough: Luthra, Jackman, Bayliss, Lench, N Minhas (Davies 70), Goddard, Hutchinson  (Ogbonna 84), Eweka, Dyce, Sundire, Alexander (McElroy 84). Subs not used: Parillon, Spicer.

Terras: Benfield, Brooks, Cheshire, Thompson, Hamblin, Howe (Rollinson 73), Slade, Bearwish, Goodship, Touray, Roberts (Thomson 62). Subs not used: Rowan, Bolton, Rees.

Referee: Matthew Jackson

Attendance: 976