Young 8, Hyde 90+5


WEYMOUTH slipped to a 2-0 defeat away to arch-rivals Yeovil Town, who recorded a ninth straight win in all competitions.

In front of a raucous National League South record crowd of 6,289, league leaders Yeovil took the lead when Jordan Young’s near-touchline free-kick was allowed to travel into the far corner.

Weymouth improved dramatically in the second half and spurned three huge chances to score before Jake Hyde’s deflected 95th-minute goal settled a captivating derby.

Weymouth manager Bobby Wilkinson made three changes to the side that beat Eastbourne Borough 3-1 on Saturday.

READ MORE: Yeovil Town 2-0 Weymouth - how it happened

David Sesay did not make the squad, while skipper Tom Bearwish was absent with a calf strain picked up against Boro.

Centre-back Jordon Thompson dropped to the bench with centre-backs Charlie Rowan and Anthony Cheshire plus left-back Leo Hamblin coming in.

On the bench, Weymouth named goalkeeping coach Jason Matthews among their five substitutes.

Joining him and Thompson were Keelan O'Connell, Brandon Goodship and Ben Thomson, all three keeping their place in the 16 from Saturday, while Harvey Slade missed out completely.

Weymouth were looking for a first win over Yeovil since beating the Glovers 3-2 on Boxing Day 1988, knowing a victory would hand them their 100th in competitive action against the Somerset side.

However, they fell behind in the seventh minute after two errors in the torrential rain.

Cheshire was first penalised for handling on the near touchline and Young’s free-kick appeared to take a nick off the centre-back before skidding in past Hugo Fisher, although Young was credited with the goal.

Weymouth, skippered in Bearwish’s absence by Calvin Brooks, conceded two corners in the opening 20 minutes but dealt well with them, Rowan sending a commanding header clear.

At the other end, Joel Rollinson looked Weymouth’s best outlet but although his dinked cross was poorly defended, Yeovil swarmed around the second ball to relieve the danger.

Yeovil’s third corner came in the 23rd minute, the attack breaking down when Jordan Stevens scuffed wide, and the Glovers’ number seven swept wide from another presentable opening soon after.

In response, Rollinson briefly threatened for Weymouth before sending a cross down keeper Joe Day’s throat.

Yeovil looked far more menacing and saw Frank Nouble’s shot blocked by Teddy Howe before wildly volleying a second chance for a throw-in.

The Glovers sensed a second goal but were repelled by a forceful Cheshire challenge on Rhys Murphy  before Nouble blazed a difficult half-volley over.

Weymouth defended well a free-kick given away by Rowan on 40 minutes and nearly equalised when Dan Roberts’ sliced volley had Day scampering across his line before watching it float inches wide.

Roberts began the second half as he ended the first, shying at goal, but could only scuff a 30-yarder at Day.

Wilkinson then removed Rollinson and Elliott Bolton for O’Connell and Thomson, instantly reviving Weymouth’s attacking fortunes.

Thomson immediately proved a handful for Yeovil, outmuscling his man before seeing his low 20-yarder blocked by ex-Terras defender Jake Wannell.

Howe won a corner on the hour mark and Weymouth should have made it 1-1 as O’Connell’s delivery was headed over by the unmarked Brooks.

Weymouth, enjoying their best spell, saw O’Connell fizz a low free-kick at Day, skidding off the sodden turf, after Ezio Touray was felled by Morgan Williams.

Yeovil could only reply with Murphy’s flicked header at Fisher and that proved to be the ex-Southend man’s final action as he and Nouble were hooked for Sonny Cox and Hyde with 20 minutes left.

Weymouth will wonder how they remained behind as Thomson’s cross flashed across the wet turf, too quickly for the unmarked Roberts who directed wide at the back post from two yards.

Ex-Terras loanee Will Dawes then replaced Stevens as Mark Cooper switched up his midfield but the Glovers were indebted to Day for a huge save on 74 minutes, finding a giant paw to keep out Touray’s prodded close-range effort.

Fisher was also busy in a sudden burst of chances, Cox and Dawes forcing the Brighton loanee into two solid low stops.

Wilkinson’s last throw of the dice saw Goodship replace Rowan in an attacking change but the Terras created no further chances.

Instead, in the final minute of five added, Hyde was found in the box and his shot on the turn took a huge deflection before finding the net, leaving Fisher helpless and the derby bragging rights to Yeovil.

Yeovil: Day, Whittle, Williams, Wannell, Stevens (Dawes 73), Worthington, Young, Owers, Smith, Nouble (Hyde 70), Murphy (Cox 70). Subs not used: Maguire-Drew, Staunton.

Terras: Fisher, Howe, Hamblin, Cheshire, Durojaiye, Roberts, Rollinson (O’Connell 53), Touray, Bolton (Thomson 53), Brooks, Rowan (Goodship 88). Subs not used: Matthews, Thompson.

Referee: Steven Hughes.

Attendance: 6,289 (NLS record).