Spetch 90


D Mason 49, 55

DORCHESTER Town’s late surge proved too slow to materialise as Sholing claimed a 2-1 win at the Avenue Stadium.

In Tom Killick’s first home game in charge of the Magpies, Sholing scored twice in six second-half minutes through Dan Mason to go 2-0 up in new boss Paul Doswell’s debut.

Owen Roundell’s red card opened the door for Dorchester, who pulled a goal back through Will Spetch, but the Boatmen held on despite a raft of late chances for the Magpies.

Dorchester are now winless in five matches in all competitions, last tasting success with a 3-1 win against Didcot one month ago.

READ MORE: Dorchester Town 1-2 Sholing - how it happened

Killick, returning to the touchline after missing the 1-0 loss at Hendon on Saturday, made two changes to the starting XI.

Jordi Barnett and Louie Slough dropped to the bench, with Lewis Waterfield promoted to the XI and Spetch returning from suspension.

Alex Moyse and Drew Eccott-Young retained their places in the squad, but Benjani Jr did not.

Dorchester, who began the day in 18th, were hoping to leapfrog Sholing by recording a victory of three goals or more over the Boatmen.

Instead, they were caught in a first-half malaise as clear chances were elusive, Leighton Thomas managing a tame shot at Sholing keeper Ryan Gosney in the seventh minute.

Sholing replied when ex-Magpies midfielder Charlie Davis forced home keeper Adam Forster off his line to make a smart save in the 12th minute.

Opportunities continued to be limited on a soaking-wet night in Dorchester, but both teams did threaten before the break.

Sholing’s Jake Cope worked Forster following good build-up play from Jake Flannigan and Davis then appealed for a penalty, claiming a shirt pull, with no success.

Dorchester had the ball in the back of the net through a Spetch header from Corby Moore’s corner but the goal was ruled out for a foul on Gosney.

Seconds prior to the break, Brad Targett fired wide for Sholing but the visitors made amends in style after half-time.

Davis swung in a corner and Mason was there at the back post to guide a downward header past Forster on 49 minutes.

On 55 minutes Forster tipped over Flannigan’s shot and Sholing doubled their lead from the corner, as Davis and Mason combined for 2-0 in almost identical fashion, the latter heading home.

Davis bent a free-kick marginally over but Killick had seen enough and replaced Lewis Waterfield and Thomas with Slough and Jordi Foot.

Dorchester looked to be running out of time when Jack Dickson’s excellent pass set up Ollie Haste, the centre-back firing inches wide.

Spetch and Dickson also went close with headers as Dorchester chased a consolation.

Gosney then kept the Magpies at bay after a goalmouth scramble but the pressure finally told.

Heading into the 90th minute, Sholing switched off and enabled Spetch to wander unmarked in the box where he lashed past Gosney.

In the first of seven added minutes, Roundell earned a second caution and Dorchester realised a draw was a genuine possibility.

Their golden chance came in the 94th minute when Haste tested Gosney with a back-post header, although the Yeovil loanee could not repeat the heroics of his late equaliser at Gosport.

And Sholing saw out the remaining time to book a maiden win under ex-Havant boss Doswell and jump to 14th with Dorchester remaining in 18th.

Killick will continue his search for a first win as Magpies boss at home to Hayes & Yeading, who earlier this month appointed ex-Weymouth manager Mark Molesley, on Saturday (3pm).

Magpies: Forster, Dickson, Haste, Ngalo, James, Waterfield (Slough 55), Moore, Thomas (Foot 68), Gwengwe, Koszela, Spetch. Subs not used: Moyse, Barnett, Eccott-Young.

Sholing: Gosney, Flannigan, McLean, Gregory (Adams 87), Roundell, Flooks, Anderson, Davis (Payce 82), D Mason, Cope, Targett (Isgrove 77). Subs not used: B Mason, Miller.

Referee: Antony Smith.

Attendance: 385.