Pendlebury 67 pen


Goodship 23

WEYMOUTH earned a creditable point at Farnborough thanks to a superb late penalty save from Jared Thompson, drawing 1-1 in an entertaining Vanarama National League South clash.

Brandon Goodship put the Terras ahead before Boro twice hit the post in the first half.

With Weymouth opting to sit back and hit Boro on the break, the hosts profited when Olly Pendlebury converted a 67th-minute penalty.

Pendlebury’s second penalty, given for handball, was brilliantly saved by Thompson as Boro failed to dislodge Weymouth from a point, the visitors reacting positively to the 5-1 hammering by Bath in midweek.

READ MORE: Farnborough 1-1 Weymouth - how it happened

Weymouth boss Bobby Wilkinson made two changes to the side that began against Bath.

Charlie Rowan and Dan Roberts returned to the starting line-up, with Moe Shubbar and Keelan O'Connell making way. Shubbar was omitted from the squad completely.

O'Connell found himself on the bench along with the returning Ben Winterburn, Joel Rollinson and Anthony Cheshire.

Ezio Touray was the final option from Weymouth's dugout.

The Terras therefore omitted Elliott Bolton and Leo Hamblin from the matchday 16, along with Shubbar.

Pre-match, Wilkinson pledged to attack Boro and Weymouth were certainly on the front foot in the early exchanges.

After Olu Durojaiye was fouled, Goodship fired a deflected free-kick for a corner and Boro keeper Jack Turner was then forced into a fabulous save from Teddy Howe’s header.

Weymouth then walked a disciplinary tightrope as Charlie Rowan was booked for a heavy tackle, referee Nicholas Dunn thinking better of red, before Calvin Brooks avoided yellow after a stern talking to.

In an end-to-end start, Boro registered their first shot on target when Michael Folivi poked at Jared Thompson, failing to get enough purchase on his effort to trouble Weymouth’s keeper.

However, having edged the opening quarter of the game, Weymouth took the lead in the 23rd minute through Goodship’s second goal of the season.

Dan Roberts was the driving force, beating his man and crossing for Ben Thomson whose flick-on picked out Goodship. His attempt clattered the post but trickled over the line past Turner for 1-0.

Boro responded strongly as Calvin Brooks was forced to clear off the line and Ollie Robinson wasted an even better chance, heading wide from Jordan Norvile-Williams’ cross.

Farnborough kept the pressure on as Pendlebury played Reggie Young through, the forward cutting inside and smashing his shot against the post.

Roberts then did well to win a corner at the other end and Turner pulled off a flying stop to keep out Rowan’s bullet header.

Rowan’s chance came seconds before Boro hit the post for the second time, Young setting up Connor Hall to rifle against Thompson’s upright.

In the second half, Weymouth needed a double intervention from Thompson to keep out the luckless Young, whose initial effort was well stopped and the keeper showed agility to bounce up and block the rebound.

Folivi eyed a penalty on 55 minutes when he went down in the box, but his appeals were ignored, and Aaron Kuhl then fizzed an effort wide on the hour.

Boro, having enjoyed large spells of pressure, were rewarded for their efforts with a penalty, which Weymouth felt was soft, when Folivi was tripped on 66 minutes.

Pendlebury stepped up and Thompson was unable to save as the hosts deservedly drew level.

Boro continued to look the likelier side to score, with Weymouth appearing to shut up shop for a point, as Ricky Holmes went close twice from long-range and Thompson once more denied Young in their personal battle.

Edon Pruti maintained the flow of chances, setting up Folivi, who fired over inside the box.

Weymouth offered little in attack late on and Thompson had to catch a Pendlebury free-kick in the 90th minute as the hosts sensed a winner.

And Pendlebury was at the centre of the action in the fourth added minute, his penalty pushed clear by Thompson in dramatic fashion as Weymouth held on for a point.

Farnborough: Turner, Norville-Williams, Robinson, Pruti, Folivi, Young, Pendlebury, Maloney (Cullen 64), Saied, Kuhl, Hall (Holmes 64). Subs not used: Fearn, Mekki, Perez.

Terras: Ja Thompson, Howe, Sesay, Rowan (Rollinson 75), Jo Thompson, Durojaiye, Bearwish, Roberts, Goodship (Winterburn 81), Thomson (Touray 65), Brooks. Subs not used: Cheshire, O'Connell.

Referee: Nicholas Dunn

Attendance: 832.