Gwengwe 16


Grant 46, Owusu 62

DORCHESTER Town squandered a 1-0 lead as Bracknell Town came from behind to win 2-1 at the Avenue Stadium.

Shaq Gwengwe’s third goal in two games put Dorchester ahead but the Robins netted twice in 17 second-half minutes through Joe Grant and Nana Owusu to take the three points.

It means Dorchester’s wait for back-to-back wins this season endures, but the Magpies will feel a point slipped out of their grasp against one of the division’s best teams.

Dorchester were unchanged for the first time this season following the 4-1 win over Basingstoke Town on Saturday.

READ MORE: Dorchester Town 1-2 Bracknell Town - how it happened

Magpies' manager Tom Killick did make one change on the bench, however, as under-23 rising star Joe Malpas made way for new signing Will Fletcher.

The striker’s arrival from Poole Town on a permanent deal was confirmed prior to kick-off.

With last season’s beaten play-off finalists Bracknell having done the double over Dorchester in 2022/23, the Magpies knew of the Robins’ quality.

The visitors took little time to settle and demonstrated their crisp passing and willingness to unleash the pace of Owusu on the right.

One diagonal ball to Owusu yielded the first shot of the game as he controlled well to race clean through, only for a heavy next touch to force him wide round keeper Adam Forster and slice his chance.

Ben Harris blasted a deflected shot wide from 20 yards but Dorchester, who up until then had struggled to contain the Robins, took the lead on 16 minutes.

The goal came from their first shot, Pedro Borges fastening onto hesitant defending of a bouncing ball and finding Gwengwe who needed one touch to control and a second to drill inside the near post for 1-0.

In response, Bracknell nearly found an equaliser their early play merited when Max Herbert nodded wide George Knight’s corner in the 20th minute.

From that moment the Magpies grew in confidence and regularly nicked possession at crucial times, disrupting Bracknell’s intricate attacks.

Ed James came within a foot of connecting with Gwengwe from a Corby Moore free-kick, before the Exeter loanee nodded a difficult chance at Bracknell keeper Mike Eacott.

Dorchester looked dangerous on the break as Borges’ lovely spin teed up Moore and his 25-yard drive zipped narrowly over the bar.

Another Dorchester interception, this time by Jordan Ngalo, instigated the hosts’ next attack as Koszela’s cross was headed on by Borges but too far behind Gwengwe for the striker to direct on goal.

The lively Borges then had a goalbound shot blocked deep inside the area in the 48th minute before the half-time whistle sounded.

However, the Magpies were caught napping in the second half as Bracknell needed only 59 seconds to equalise.

Knight’s cute flick fooled the home defence and Grant strolled into space near the penalty spot to bury a simple finish with Forster standing no chance.

Dorchester were slow to react and Louie Slough headed well over before Borges volleyed a golden chance over after Gwengwe’s cushioned header back.

Bracknell were quick to punish Dorchester’s next mistake though, as Eccott-Young fatally gave the ball away to Owusu who proceeded to hammer a low 25-yarder past Forster.

Killick replied by handing Fletcher his debut at the expense of Koszela, with Leighton Thomas replacing Eccott-Young.

Instead, it was Bracknell who came close to a third goal, Knight curling at Forster from 20 yards.

Borges, so often a catalyst for the Magpies, then hit a heavily deflected shot at Eacott before the Magpies wasted a free-kick on the D, Gwengwe tamely shooting low at the Robins’ keeper.

Bracknell coped well with a concerted spell of Dorchester pressure deep into normal time and should have wrapped up the points in the 94th minute.

With Jack Dickson down injured, sub Kameron English raced through but made a complete meal of his chance, running into Forster without getting a shot away.

That proved the final opportunity as Dorchester were ultimately punished for a defensive mistake.

The Magpies are next in action at Salisbury on Saturday, November 25 and have no game this weekend due to AFC Totton’s involvement in the FA Trophy.

Magpies: Forster, Eccott-Young (Thomas 66), Haste, Slough, Ngalo, James, Borges, Moore, Koszela (Fletcher 65), Gwengwe, Dickson (Waterfield 90+5). Subs not used: Turner, Toms.

Bracknell: Eacott, Legg (Osu 87), George, Harrison, Fraser, Herbert, Owusu, Knight, Harris (English 63), Lodge, Grant (Tack 82). Subs not used: Jackson, Esprit.

Referee: Martin Bloor.

Attendance: 385.