Saunders 40 og, Brooks 65


WEYMOUTH booked their first home midweek league win for 294 days courtesy of a 2-0 win over Truro City at the Bob Lucas Stadium.

Both strikes were fortunate as Sam Saunders’ own goal and Calvin Brooks’ charge down proved sufficient in a game where each team hit the woodwork once.

Jordon Thompson was shown two yellows as Weymouth played the final five minutes with 10 men, but the Terras saw out the game to earn a fifth league victory of the season, staying in 17th.

Weymouth manager Bobby Wilkinson made two changes to the starting line-up from Saturday's FA Trophy win over Dover Athletic.

READ MORE: Weymouth 2-0 Truro City - how it happened

Anthony Cheshire dropped to the bench, while skipper Tom Bearwish missed out completely through suspension, caused by accumulation of yellow cards.

In came winger Joel Rollinson, plus stand-in captain Brooks. On the bench, Weymouth retained Ben Thomson, Keelan O'Connell and Elliott Bolton.

Goalkeeper Gerard Benfield missed out, while Cheshire was joined by the returning Ben Winterburn.

Match referee was Lisa Benn, a Women's Super League official with experience at international youth level.

Benn had a solid first half and arguably performed better than the players in a dull opening 45 minutes.

One of the few highlights came in the sixth minute, Jared Thompson magnificently tipping a Dan Rooney shot onto the bar after Weymouth afforded the forward too much free time in the box.

Weymouth responded when Olu Durojaiye’s deflected effort went out for a corner and, although Tyler Harvey cleared, the Terras recycled the ball for Ezio Touray who bundled home, only for his effort to be scrubbed out for handball.

Thompson was then given a let-off for a shanked clearance as Dan Sullivan blazed over, before Harvey Greenslade copied his teammate with a rising drive.

Truro wasted another opportunity when ex-Terras left-back Connor Riley-Lowe headed well wide at the back post from James Melhado’s cross.

Weymouth improved in the final 10 minutes of the half, Rollinson winning a corner only for Truro’s back five to once more gobble up a cross into the box.

When the Terras took the lead in the 40th minute it came as a surprise, Roberts’ cross hitting Saunders, unsighted by the late dive of keeper James Hamon, and trickling over the line.

Compounding a poor four minutes for the centre-half, Saunders was then booked for hauling down Roberts when Weymouth threatened with a promising break.

The half-time whistle sounded bizarrely with Weymouth leading despite not registering a shot on target, although there were no changes to either side after a low-quality half.

When play restarted, Truro again emerged the brighter as Harvey’s snapshot sailed out of the ground before ex-Terras midfielder Matt Buse was introduced for Sullivan.

Referee Benn, who had little to deal with in the first half, then had to iron out a major flashpoint after Melhado lunged into a 50/50 with Leo Hamblin.

The incident sparked a pushing and shoving match between the players but, despite the home crowd baying for red, Melhado was shown yellow.

Weymouth fed off the commotion caused by the tackle and, on 65 minutes, doubled their lead.

The goal was fortuitous again, Goodship’s corner headed on by Roberts for Weymouth’s first shot on target, Truro keeper James Hamon superbly clawing it away.

After pinball in the box, Truro’s attempted clearance was charged down by Brooks and the ball rebounded into the bottom-right corner.

Truro reacted by making two attacking changes, bringing on striker Rocky Neal and Ryan Law for Melhado and Saunders.

Their alterations immediately opened the game up with Weymouth suddenly a massive threat on the break, Touray firing at Hamon after good gains from Rollinson on the right.

Weymouth hit the post on 72 minutes as Durojaiye’s persistence created a chance for Roberts, who slid a low effort against the woodwork under pressure from the advancing Hamon.

Roberts cut inside and worked Hamon again before a third chance in succession, somehow electing to square blindly to a Truro defender rather than shoot as he raced clean through.

Weymouth appeared to be cruising to victory but were given a late problem when Thompson, already booked for a heavy foul on Greenslade in the first half, was shown a second yellow for apparent time-wasting, booting the ball away seconds after the whistle went.

Wilkinson compensated by subbing off Touray for Cheshire, while Winterburn came on for Goodship in six minutes of added time.

Weymouth then successfully eroded the allotted time away to ensure Truro’s winless run stretched to a ninth game, increasing the gap between the sides to six points.

Terras: Ja Thompson, Howe, Brooks, Jo Thompson, Hamblin, Rollinson, Rowan, Durojaiye, Goodship (Winterburn 90+3), Touray (Cheshire 87), Roberts. Subs not used: Thomson, O'Connell, Bolton.

Truro: Hamon, Melhado (Neal 66), Riley-Lowe, Palmer, Saunders (Law 70), Dean, Harvey, Sullivan (Buse 54), Rooney, Greenslade, Harrison. Subs not used: Porter, Brett.

Referee: Lisa Benn.

Attendance: 664