Hughes 84 og


Jones 24

WEYMOUTH hit back to earn a 1-1 draw against second-placed Aveley at a chilly Bob Lucas Stadium.

The Millers led through Jalen Jones’ fierce header before Weymouth saw two Joel Rollinson goals ruled out for offside.

Weymouth bossed the second half and deservedly levelled when Charlee Hughes nodded a late header into his own goal.

The result means Weymouth are unbeaten in their last three games in all competitions and handed the Terras an eighth league draw of the National League South season.

READ MORE: Weymouth 1-1 Aveley - how it happened

Terras’ boss Bobby Wilkinson made two changes to the side that began Tuesday's 2-0 win over Truro City.

The first occurred in goal, with Jared Thompson missing from the squad completely through a thigh injury.

Centre-half Jordon Thompson dropped to the bench, as did Joel Rollinson initially before he was reinstated following a calf injury for Charlie Rowan in the warm-up.

Taking Thompson's place in goal was Gerard Benfield, after recovering sufficiently from dislocated fingers.

Dorset Echo: Gerard Benfield, left, returned to the Weymouth starting line-upGerard Benfield, left, returned to the Weymouth starting line-up (Image: MARK PROBIN)

Anthony Cheshire came into the defence, while skipper Tom Bearwish returned from suspension.

Ben Thomson, Keelan O'Connell and Ben Winterburn retained their places on the bench, joining Jordon Thompson. Elliott Bolton was the only other player to lose his place in the 16.

After a poor quality first 14 minutes from both sides, Weymouth threatened first when Aveley’s Eduino Vaz took an age to clear in the box, inviting pressure from Ezio Touray and conceding a corner.

Brandon Goodship’s delivery was easily dealt with by the tall Aveley back line, before the striker sent a free-kick straight into keeper Jonathan North’s hands.

Weymouth were nearly punished for a miscommunication at the back in the 18th minute between Cheshire and Benfield, before the latter atoned by saving from Alex Hernandez.

However, Weymouth were undone from a corner as Aveley’s towering height advantage paid off six minutes later.

Bearwish conceded a corner and Jones muscled his way into the box to power home a header off the arms of Benfield who could do nothing due to the ferocity and close proximity of the effort.

Dorset Echo: Jalen Jones, centre, opened the scoring for AveleyJalen Jones, centre, opened the scoring for Aveley (Image: MARK PROBIN)

Aveley rattled the home crowd, winning a series of cheap fouls by going to ground easily under contact, but the Millers were far the better side.

The Essex outfit should have gone 2-0 up on 35 minutes but for a dreadful header from Charlee Hughes, who guided his attempt wide when unmarked six yards out.

Benfield was then called upon to make an important stop with his leg from Sydney Ibie after the 6ft 6in winger beat the offside trap.

Weymouth did improve within sight of half-time, Joel Rollinson having two goals ruled out for offside in the space of two minutes, much to the annoyance of the already-riled home fans.

Nana Kyei replaced the booked Ibie for Aveley at half-time before Vaz sent two wasteful set-pieces into the arms of Benfield.

Weymouth began to creep into the game after Thomson and O’Connell were introduced for Touray and Dan Roberts before the hour.

North, who had been something of a spectator until then, was needed to magnificently tip over Goodship’s venomous swerving shot before Cheshire had an effort blocked from the corner.

Weymouth appeals for a penalty were then dismissed after Leo Hamblin’s cross appeared to strike the arm of Ikechi Eze, Bearwish booked for his protests at the decision.

Hernandez replied with a tame shot at Benfield before Bearwish pulled an effort wide from 20 yards.

O’Connell was central to Weymouth’s equaliser, however.

Dorset Echo: Keelan O'Connell, right, was instrumental in Weymouth's equaliserKeelan O'Connell, right, was instrumental in Weymouth's equaliser (Image: MARK PROBIN)

Moments after the winger cut inside and curled at North, he burst through on goal, rounded the keeper and had his effort blocked behind for a corner.

When the delivery came in, Hughes could only nod past North into the right-hand corner in the 84th minute to set up a grandstand finale.

Weymouth swung deliveries into the box at every opportunity, testing the Millers’ resolve, but the visitors held firm into five added minutes.

Aveley actually came closest to scoring a winner, Hughes and Kyei both involved in a scramble in the Weymouth box before Benfield gathered safely.

However, the sides had to settle for a point in what proved an even game across the 90 minutes.

Terras: Benfield, Howe, Brooks, Cheshire, Hamblin, Bearwish, Durojaiye, Rollinson, Goodship, Touray (Thomson 58), Roberts (O’Connell 57). Subs not used: Winterburn, Jo Thompson.

Aveley: North, Cochrane, Vaz, Odelusi, Davis, Jones, Eze (Dada 79), Kelly, Hughes, Hernandez (Gibbs 87), Ibie (Kyei 46). Subs not used: Brown, Ogunrinde.

Referee: Robert Claussen.

Attendance: 740.