PORTLAND United moved up to sixth spot in the Velocity Wessex League Premier Division after coming from a goal down to beat Andover New Street 2-1.

The result continues Portland’s formidable home results this season, the Blues having only lost once in nine matches this season.

Barring a misjudged back header, forcing keeper James Mayo to retreat and save, the Street enjoyed the better of play early on.

They had a goal ruled out for offside in the 12th minute but there was no doubt about the opening goal four minutes later.

READ MORE: Luke Sheehy returns to Wimborne Town for extra match minutes

Michael Davis swung in a corner and up popped skipper Scott Hassell to head home.

Portland responded strongly when top scorer Greg Borthwick hit the post and Mayo blocked the rebound.

Archie Woolford dragged a shot wide as the Blues continued to improve and it came as little surprise when the hosts hauled themselves level in the 35th minute.

Borthwick was integral to the goal, rising highest to win a knock down for Ryan McKechnie who prodded past Mayo for 1-1.

In the second half, Joe Wickham fired wide for Portland before Street replied with two Cam Thatcher strikes, the second of which flew narrowly past the post.

Thatcher threatened again but could not find the target with a header from Shaun Dallimore’s delivery.

Matt Harvey and Borthwick both went close for Portland as the match looked to be heading for a draw.

But McKechnie had other ideas, absolutely belting a screamer beyond Mayo in the 91st minute to put Portland on the brink of three points.

Andover needed Mayo to prevent Borthwick from making it 3-1 but the visitors had Portland clinging on at the death, winning a corner and sending the keeper up.

Portland’s defence held firm, even with the clock ticking into a tenth added minute, as they locked up their sixth home league win of the season.

Speaking to Echosport, Blues’ boss Kyle Critchell said: “It was a really good game and battle, one ultimately settled by a really fantastic strike from Macca.

“It could’ve gone both ways, it was a great advert for Wessex League football. We showed a different, steely side to us.

“Going 1-0 down so early, any team can fold but we didn’t do that. We kept grinding away.”

On McKechnie’s winner, Critchell added: “It’s just dropped to him, he’s taken a first touch, put it on his left foot and on the half-volley it’s gone into the top corner.

“We’ve gone into raptures and everyone’s delighted with the goal. This positive attitude has created this never say die attitude we’ve got.”

Blues: Bruton, Harvey, Callow, Williams, Bessant, Symes, Wickham (Stuttle 68), McKechnie, Borthwick, Doyle (Delves 72), Woolford (Scott 82). Subs not used: Gadsby, J Lucas.

Attendance: 184.

Match sponsor: MKM Building Supplies Weymouth.

Man of the match sponsor: Robin Satherley.

Match ball sponsors: Ali & Lance Sapsford.

Programme sponsor: Café Oasis.

Mascots: Weymouth Cougars Under-nines.