WEYMOUTH boss Bobby Wilkinson rued what he believed to be costly decisions against the Terras as the Dorset side succumbed 3-1 to Torquay United at Plainmoor.

Brett McGavin’s wondrous free-kick and an instinctive first-time finish by former Terras forward Brad Ash, who also hit the post, put the Gulls 2-0 up.

Elliott Bolton’s technically perfect volley got Weymouth up and running but the Terras wasted three good chances before the break.

In the second half, Lewis Collins, booked for dissent seconds earlier, was fortunate to escape red for a push on the far side before he raced clean through for 3-1.

READ MORE: Torquay United 3-1 Weymouth - report

Calvin Brooks was then the recipient of Weymouth’s seventh red card of the season, his hauling down of Theo Williams sealing his fate after an earlier booking for unsporting conduct.

The defeat ended Weymouth’s three-game unbeaten run in the league but the Terras did perhaps merit a point based on chances created and their fluency in possession.

However, that was of little comfort to Wilkinson, who had the big incidents on his mind.

He told Echosport: “I don’t think I’ve ever been so frustrated because we’ve come here and played well.

“We’ve had more chances than them and I’m pretty mad. I’m mad because the referee was losing control.

“It seems like I’m making excuses. I’ve got nothing else to say because I’ll be in trouble and I don’t want to do that.

“It was two good sides going toe-to-toe with each other. My boys gave it their all, didn’t they?”

McGavin was given the opportunity to score after ex-Torquay winger Keelan O’Connell’s cheap foul 25 yards out.

“The problem we have with this group is that they sometimes dive in when they shouldn’t,” Wilkinson said.

“You should manage the game properly. I won’t defend that, because that’s avoidable, just like the third and second. We have to do better. It was the same as Yeovil.”

O’Connell was also at the centre of Weymouth’s attacking play, although he missed an unmarked header and later went close with a 20-yard drive.

Wilkinson said: “The header sums it up. They score that, we don’t. I don’t have anyone who puts the ball in the back of the net on a regular basis.

“My forwards are great lads, we’ll keep working hard, but Keels has got to score that. He’s got a free header. If that’s a Thommo (Ben Thomson), he scores.

“There’s the difference. They score, we don’t.”

Ash then gave Weymouth an untimely reminder of his finishing ability, having left in the summer, with his ruthless goal.

Wilkinson added: “He’s a fantastic finisher, I wish I had him. They are where they are, they’re full-time.

“But we competed so well against them. I can’t keep coming out and saying the same thing, we didn’t win and I’m disappointed with the goals.

“I’m not interested in Elliott’s goal because I didn’t win, I’m a winner. I’ve come here before and won and the boys should’ve won.

“But you’re not going to win if you’re undisciplined with a sending off, or if you allow sloppy goals.”

Finally, Wilkinson addressed the decisions by referee Eugene Robinson to spare Collins but send Brooks off.

“You know what’s really hard? We’re going to talk about my player being sent off but (Collins) should’ve been sent off,” Wilkinson insisted.

“I’ve just been in and seen the referee. He’s got that one wrong. It makes my players look bad. What can I say?”

Weymouth were perhaps fortunate not to go down to 10 men earlier, Olu Durojaiye’s heavy challenge on Tom Lapslie forcing the midfielder off soon afterwards.

Wilkinson said: “He’s won the ball but I’m going to defend my player like they defend theirs.”

Weymouth next tackle Hendon in the FA Trophy third round on Saturday (3pm).