Goodship 45+6 pen, 78, Touray 88


Avery 25, Fletcher 26, Reid 55

WEYMOUTH fought back from 3-1 down to earn a point against Weston-super-Mare at a drenched Bob Lucas Stadium.

Weston went 2-0 up thanks to Sam Avery and Alex Fletcher goals before Brandon Goodship pulled on back from the spot after Charlie Rowan was stretchered off.

Reuben Reid made it 3-1 but Weymouth fought back superbly in worsening conditions, Goodship bagging a deadly second before sub Ezio Touray’s 88th-minute header handed the Terras a share of the points.

Before an 11th draw in 25 games, Weymouth boss Bobby Wilkinson listed an unchanged side and bench to that which began the 3-2 win over Weston on Boxing Day.

READ MORE: Weymouth 3-3 Weston-super-Mare - how it happened

Weymouth boss Bobby Wilkinson listed an unchanged side and bench to that which began the 3-2 win over Weston on Boxing Day.

And his decision nearly paid instant dividends as Weymouth hit the bar inside 60 seconds, following a foul on Tom Bearwish.

Goodship stepped up and curled a shaping effort away from Seagulls keeper Max Harris but agonisingly against the bar, down off the turf and cleared to safety by a frantic Weston header.

Dorset Echo: Brandon Goodship's free-kick hit the bar in the first minuteBrandon Goodship's free-kick hit the bar in the first minute (Image: MARK PROBIN)

In a brisk start, Weston created a good chance themselves when Reuben Reid’s deflected effort forced a smart reaction save from Gerard Benfield.

As the rain bucketed down, Reid was involved again. The ex-Yeovil striker barged his way through a gap in Weymouth’s defence before Rowan felled him, earning yellow. Joe Cook was also booked for dissent by referee Lewis Sandoe.

The fuss was all academic as James Dodd lashed the free-kick into the wall before nodding the rebound harmlessly at Benfield.

However, two Weston goals inside 60 seconds threatened to completely derail Weymouth.

The Terras were undone from a free-kick as Avery, sent off on Boxing Day, atoned for his dismissal by bundling home for 1-0 at close range.

Dorset Echo: Sam Avery, out of shot, put Weston 1-0 upSam Avery, out of shot, put Weston 1-0 up (Image: MARK PROBIN)

Poor defending moments later then gifted Weston a second as Reid won possession inside Weymouth’s half and fed Weston orchestrator Dayle Grubb.

His cross picked out the unmarked Fletcher arriving at the back post and the ex-Bath winger, who needed emergency head surgery after a sickening incident last season, scored at the second attempt as Weymouth’s defence went missing.

Weymouth’s situation nearly deteriorated further when Grubb bent a free-kick against the bar in the 34th minute.

And the Terras’ afternoon soured again when Rowan collided nastily with Avery and needed eight minutes of treatment before being stretchered off to warm applause from both sets of fans.

The incident necessitated 10 added minutes and Weymouth managed to get themselves back into it midway through stoppage-time.

Goodship’s driving run on the left earned him a corner and his recycled delivery was headed down by Calvin Brooks, on for Rowan, into the arm of Jason Pope, who raged at the penalty decision, claiming the ball struck his hip.

Goodship shook off the complaints and planted a firm, accurate finish into the bottom-right corner for his sixth goal of the season.

Dorset Echo: Brandon Goodship scored his sixth goal of the season to make it 2-1Brandon Goodship scored his sixth goal of the season to make it 2-1 (Image: MARK PROBIN)

Weston almost responded with an immediate goal as Benfield denied Fletcher on the break before half-time.

Weymouth should have equalised in the first minute of the second half when Alfie Rutherford poked wide from Teddy Howe’s low cross.

Harry Parsons, starved of service in the first half, then lashed wide before Weston reclaimed their two-goal cushion.

Reid was afforded too much space in the area and drilled a crisp finish past Benfield’s left glove, the Terras again punished for slack marking.

Parsons later glanced a header wide in response and that was his last action of note as Dan Roberts was introduced in the 66th minute.

Weymouth then needed a muddy goalmouth to prevent 4-1 as Reid’s powerful drive squirmed underneath Benfield and held up before the line, allowing Brooks to slide in and clear.

Wilkinson opted to bring off Rutherford for Ezio Touray on 77 minutes and, a matter of seconds later, he burst through before finding Goodship who stroked a lethal finish into the bottom-left corner for 3-2.

Weymouth sniffed an equaliser and it came dramatically two minutes from time.

Leo Hamblin was the creator, his surging run on the left picking out Touray’s dart to the near post where the tall striker stooped athletically to head home past Harris.

Four added minutes were called for but neither side could force a winner as a six-goal thriller in the mud came to an end.

Terras: Benfield, Howe, Hamblin, Cook, Jo Thompson, Durojaiye, Rutherford (Touray 77), Bearwish, Goodship, Parsons (Roberts 66), Rowan (Brooks 45). Subs not used: Rollinson, Bolton.

Weston: Harris, Grubb, Reid, Bastin, Humphries, Dodd, Willmott (Thomas 86), Jagger Cane, Pope, Fletcher (Jackson 73), Avery. Subs not used: Purnell, Soule, Mannings.

Referee: Lewis Sandoe.

Attendance: 1,100.