Greenidge 35, Lyons-Foster 72


Bearwish 42

WEYMOUTH saw their four-game unbeaten streak ended in the Vanarama National League South  as Tonbridge Angels claimed a 2-1 win at Longmead Stadium.

Former Weymouth striker Jordan Greenidge put Angels ahead but Weymouth levelled before half-time courtesy of captain Tom Bearwish.

The Terras enjoyed several bright spells in the second half but could not find a goal, as Tonbridge instead won the game courtesy of Kodi Lyons-Foster’s deft header.

Weymouth might come away from this game thinking a point slipped away from their grasp but most of their counterparts in the bottom eight also lost, softening the blow.

READ MORE: Tonbridge Angels 2-1 Weymouth - how it happened

Weymouth boss Bobby Wilkinson made just one change to the starting XI that began the 3-3 draw with Weston-super-Mare on New Year's Day.

Jordon Thompson dropped to the bench, with Calvin Brooks preferred at centre-back.

New loan signing Malachi Linton was named on the bench, but Joel Rollinson missed out completely, while Keelan O'Connell and goalkeeper Jared Thompson were absent again.

Dan Roberts, Elliott Bolton and top-scorer Ezio Touray completed the bench.

Tonbridge, who fielded former Terras players Greenidge and Sean Shields, made the better start as Weymouth took time to settle.

Weymouth had an early corner to defend after Jernade Meade’s cross was turned behind, but the Terras defended well.

Greenidge was then involved in the 12th minute, showing customary hold-up skills to bring Tariq Hinds into play although Weymouth did just enough to put the midfielder off his shot.

Weymouth did not threaten at all until the 19th minute when in-form Brandon Goodship arguably should have scored from close-range, missing the target to keeper Jon Henly’s left.

Dorking loanee Alfie Rutherford, still searching for his first Weymouth goal, then tested Henly’s handling from range, the keeper forced into gathering at the second attempt.

However, it would be Tonbridge who struck first.

Weymouth allowed Lewis Gard to slalom past several challenges and pick out Greenidge for a tap-in, the striker easily beating Weymouth keeper Gerard Benfield.

This was the seventh time in eight games Weymouth had conceded first but Wilkinson’s men were only behind for seven minutes as skipper Bearwish came up with a captain’s goal.

Weymouth worked a fine move on the right and Bearwish arrived late into the box. He still had plenty to do but managed to slide home a fine finish at full tilt from a tight angle for 1-1.

After the break, Weymouth continued to pressure the hosts as a defensive miscommunication nearly fell their way, Henly tidying up.

And Bearwish squandered a good chance for 2-1 when the ball fell to him with time on the edge of the box, only to fire off target.

Benfield was later called upon to deny sub Paris Lock with his legs, but Weymouth enjoyed more possession than the hosts as successive corners went without a chance.

Weymouth wasted another decent opening on 70 minutes when Harry Parsons blasted over and, shortly after, they were made to pay for not converting pressure into goals.

Tonbridge’s second goal came from a cross as Lyons-Foster ran on to it, stooped and directed his header beyond Benfield for 2-1.

Weymouth reacted by handing a debut to Linton and bringing on Touray at the expense of Rutherford and Charlie Rowan.

The two attacking changes did not conjure a chance for Weymouth for the remainder of normal time and it was the hosts who went closest in the four added minutes.

Benfield raced off his line to clear but did not make a good connection, with Lock slamming the return effort into the side netting.

That proved to be the final chance as Tonbridge avenged their 5-0 defeat by Weymouth on home turf last season, keeping the Terras in 20th.

Tonbridge: Henly, Lyons-Foster, Gard, Higgs, Hinds, Dabre (Fielding 77), Sutcliffe, Greenidge, Meade, Shields, Janneh (Lock 46). Subs not used: Mampolo, Yeboah, Gibb.

Terras: Benfield, Howe, Hamblin, Cook, Durojaiye, Rutherford (Linton 74), Bearwish, Goodship, Parsons, Brooks, Rowan (Touray 74). Subs not used: Jo Thompson, Roberts, Bolton.

Referee: Jack Bloxham.

Attendance: 1,130.