Cook 67

WEYMOUTH netted a third successive victory thanks to a blockbuster strike from centre-half Joe Cook, sinking Dartford 1-0 at Princes Park.

Harry Parsons also hit the post for Weymouth, while the closest Dartford came was a disallowed goal for Luke Coulson.

The win also yielded a third straight clean sheet for the Terras, who strengthened their position in 16th courtesy of the three points.

Weymouth were completely unchanged on and off the bench from Tuesday's 2-0 win at Taunton Town.

READ MORE: Dartford 0-1 Weymouth - how it happened

Meanwhile, Dartford came into the contest with a first chance to earn victory at home under interim boss Tony Burman, who replaced the sacked Alan Dowson two weeks ago.

On the pitch, Weymouth had won both of their past two meetings with Dartford, but lost on their previous two visits to Princes Park.

And with the statistics evened up, that manifested itself into the scoreline during the first half.

Weymouth goalkeeper Gerard Benfield survived a jittery moment in only the second minute, advancing from his goal and bringing down Alex Wall as last man.

Referee George Warren reached for only a yellow card, much to the annoyance of the home faithful, but Benfield atoned for his error by saving Wall’s free-kick.

Weymouth worked their way into the game through a high press, as Malachi Linton aimed a deflected effort at ex-Weymouth keeper Billy Terrell.

Linton was involved again in the 14th minute, infiltrating the box and teeing up Parsons who once more tested Terrell, albeit with a slight nick on the way through.

Dartford were then forced into an early change as the injured Brandon Barzey was removed for Taylor Maloney.

The alteration appeared to jolt the hosts as Wall forced Benfield into a good save with his legs and then headed over a corner from skipper Luke Coulson.

But Weymouth finished the half as the stronger side, Brandon Goodship curling over from long range before Calvin Brooks’ looping header briefly worried Terrell.

Linton then had a shot blocked and Charlie Rowan could only emulate Brooks in spinning a looping header at Terrell.

Dartford could only reply on the break as Maloney’s ambitious effort from distance failed to trouble Benfield.

Weymouth continued to enjoy the better of play after half-time, captain Tom Bearwish lashing a fierce shot at Terrell from a tight angle.

Goodship then rattled off two shots, the second winning a fruitless corner, but seconds later Linton spun and shot inches wide.

In a rare moment of Dartford pressure, Luke Coulson beat Benfield for 1-0 only to be flagged for offside in the 63rd minute.

However, Weymouth took the lead through an unlikely source in the 67th minute as Cook unleashed an unstoppable drive from 30 yards to beat Terrell all ends up.

Immediately, Weymouth pursued a second as Bearwish’s low cross was scrambled clear and Linton blasted wide at the far post.

In-form Goodship then squandered a good chance from ex-Darts midfielder Olu Durojaiye’s setup before Parsons fired against the base of the post as Dartford’s goal lived a charmed life.

Linton was also presented with an opening as he bore down on goal, only for Joash Nembhard to retreat and make a crucial block.

Weymouth were forced to switch Brooks for Thompson due to injury late on, with seven minutes of injury-time added due to the delay.

Weymouth did another professional job of closing the time out, though, as they took a deserved third straight victory.

Dartford: Terrell, Statham, Nembhard, Rooney, Odaudu, Wynter, Miller-Rodney, Barzey (Maloney 25), Alexander (Adebowale 88), Coulson (Smith 82), Wall. Subs not used: Wray, Block.

Terras: Benfield, Howe, Hamblin, Cook, Durojaiye, Bearwish, Goodship, Linton, Parsons (Roberts 90+2), Brooks (Jo Thompson 88), Rowan. Subs not used: O'Connell, Touray, Bolton.

Referee: George Warren.