Benyon 9


Gwengwe 77

SUBSTITUTE Shaq Gwengwe salvaged a point for Dorchester Town in a 1-1 draw with Hanwell Town at the Powerday Stadium.

Former Southend striker Elliot Benyon headed Hanwell into an early lead as the Toon dominated the first half, Jacob Bancroft also hitting the bar.

Gwengwe was one of two Dorchester subs at the break and he had a goal ruled out for offside before finding the leveller with 13 minutes to go.

It means Dorchester are unbeaten in five league matches and remain 20th, one point off safety.

READ MORE: Hanwell Town 1-1 Dorchester Town - how it happened

Dorchester named an unchanged starting XI for the third game in succession, although that statistic will change on Saturday as Drew Eccott-Young begins his suspension for his red card at Didcot on Saturday.

There was also just one change on the bench, with Lewis Waterfield missing out and left-back Harvey Hughes recalled.

Coming into the game, Hanwell were in 14th but, due to the extremely tight nature of the bottom half, found themselves only three points ahead of the Magpies in 20th.

Dorchester, who were hunting a fourth victory in five games, started brightly with a counter that yielded an opening for Olaf Koszela, only for the ‘Polish Machine’ to slice well wide in the second minute.

With Hanwell kicking into the rain and wind swirling around the ground, it came as a surprise when the London Geordies took the lead seven minutes later.

There looked to be no danger when Bernie Tanner pinged a diagonal into the Dorchester box but former Swindon Town striker Benyon contorted his body to guide a low header past Jameson Horlick in the Magpies’ goal.

Dorchester struggled to get to grips with the conditions but did test Hanwell keeper Sam Beasant in the 21st minute with a shot from Corby Moore.

After Dorchester failed to make anything of two corners, Hanwell began to create chances as Tanner spun towards goal and whistled a shot wide from 20 yards.

Benyon later dragged a shot wide of Horlick’s goal after good work from Isaac Olorunfemi to dispossess Marcus Daws, run over halfway and find the 36-year-old in the box.

And there were Dorchester hearts in mouths on 43 minutes when Jacob Bancroft’s cross-come-shot hung in the wind and clipped the top of the bar with Horlick powerless.

Sam Evans was next to try his luck, running fully 30 yards before shifting the ball onto his right foot and firing wide.

In response, Dorchester did rally in stoppage time but Jordan Ngalo’s effort was easily claimed by Beasant.

Magpies’ manager Tom Killick was clearly displeased with his team’s efforts in the first half as he made a double change at the break, Ed James and Eccott-Young hauled off for Gwengwe and Ieuan Turner.

The changes nearly had the desired effect in the 53rd minute when Gwengwe got in behind, only for Beasant to push clear his attempt.

Hanwell took 15 minutes to find their feet, Dan Carr’s shot working Horlick into a solid stop which would prove to be the winger’s final involvement.

Hanwell made two changes in quick succession, Carr and Benyon replaced by Roger James and Dan Fosu.

Despite the hosts’ alterations, Dorchester continued to look the likelier to score against the wind and were unlucky not to equalise when Gwengwe bundled home in the 70th minute only for the offside flag to go up.

Gwengwe would finally get his goal at the third time of asking, though.

The striker showed all his quality with a composed shot in the 77th minute, firing beyond the reach of Beasant for 1-1.

Just as the Magpies got themselves back in it, sub Luke Roberts had to hobble off with injury on 83 minutes, leaving Dorchester with 10 men for the second successive game.

But the visitors successfully saw out the remaining time to claim a point following a display in which they were far from their best.

Hanwell: Beasant, Olorunfemi, Tanner, Sole, Duncan, Duffy, Bancroft, MacKenzie, Evans, Benyon (Fosu 63), Carr (James 61). Subs not used: Sery, Wright, Osman.

Magpies: Horlick, Eccott-Young (Gwengwe 46), Haste, Ngalo, James (Turner 46), Daws, Moore, Fletcher (Roberts 69), Koszela, Dickson, Spetch. Subs not used: Efedje, Hughes.

Referee: Craig Charles.

Attendance: 192.