Wooden 13, Kavanagh 20, Ramos 27

DORCHESTER Town were given a harsh lesson in clinical finishing as Gosport Borough took a deserved 3-0 win at the Avenue Stadium.

Dorchester had plenty of possession and chances throughout the game but a treble of Boro goals in 14 first-half minutes from Dan Wooden, Harry Kavanagh and Rafa Ramos wrote their fate.

The closest Dorchester came to scoring was Jonny Efedje’s second-half header, superbly tipped clear by the assured goalkeeping of young Toby Steward.

Tom Killick’s men remain in 20th and one point off safety following the defeat as their relegation rivals failed to pick up victories.

READ MORE: Dorchester Town 0-3 Gosport Borough - how it happened

Before kick-off, the Magpies showed one enforced change to the line-up that began the 1-1 draw at Hanwell on Tuesday as the suspended Drew Eccott-Young made way for top-scorer Shaq Gwengwe.

To accommodate Gwengwe moving up to the starting places, Lewis Toms was handed the final substitutes' spot alongside Lewis Waterfield, Harvey Hughes, Jonny Efedje and Ieuan Turner.

Waterfield was the other alteration on the bench, replacing the injured Luke Roberts (hamstring).

Dorchester came into the game on a sequence of five games unbeaten and started brightly again, penning Gosport back for the opening 15 minutes.

Marcus Daws curled a free-kick straight into the wall in the second minute and the attacking midfielder was at the heart of Dorchester’s good early play.

Another move involving the ex-Luton and Bournemouth maestro saw him slightly overhit a through ball to Will Fletcher, allowing Steward to advance and claim at Fletcher’s feet.

However, Gosport never looked back following their first attack.

Boro got to the byline and a dangerous ball across the face of goal was hooked clear by Ollie Haste with Kavanagh lurking.

And it was from Kavanagh’s corner that Gosport opened the scoring in the 13th minute, Dan Wooden allowed to meet his delivery on the half-volley to tuck home a delightful finish into the bottom-right.

Another defensive error enabled Gosport to double their lead in the 20th minute as Jack Dickson’s careless ball was taken on by Kavanagh.

The right-back still had plenty to do but ventured towards the area and was gifted the chance to curl a majestic shot home into the top-right corner from 20 yards.

Dorchester were still creating chances, even two goals down, and were unlucky to see Fletcher divert Gwengwe’s goalbound effort wide despite ducking.

Yet, more defensive shortcomings followed in the 27th minute when Gosport sliced open the Magpies’ defence to put Jake Cope through.

Luton loanee Jameson Horlick saved brilliantly in the one-on-one but Ramos reacted quickest to the rebound, hit the bar, and still had time to bury a volley home from six yards.

To their credit, Dorchester pressed on as Fletcher headed over after smart work from Jordan Ngalo.

But Fletcher really should have scored in the 39th minute when he skimmed the bar with a header from Olaf Koszela’s tantalising cross.

Dorchester ended the half the stronger team as Koszela slammed a free-kick into the wall and Fletcher scuffed a side-footed effort at Steward.

In the second half, Gosport elected to defend deeply and were nearly punished but for ex-Weymouth centre-back Corey Jordan’s excellent block on Gwengwe.

Killick hooked Fletcher for Efedje on 57 minutes and just four minutes later his sharp header was somehow turned away by Steward’s magnificence, the keeper earning warm acclaim from his teammates.

For all Dorchester’s play, Gosport still provided the greater edge up front and missed out on making it 4-0 when Ramos volleyed wide from ex-Pompey and Dorchester midfielder Bradley Tarbuck’s cross.

Gosport were also cleaning up most of the deliveries that came into their box as their tactics worked perfectly to soak up Dorchester's pressure.

Summing up a flat day in front of goal, Dorchester’s Gwengwe then blazed over from Daws’ cutback with a bizarre spinning attempt as the Magpies were dealt an eighth home league loss of the season.

Magpies: Horlick, Dickson, Haste (Hughes 68), Ngalo (Waterfield 79), James, Daws, Moore, Fletcher (Efedje 57), Gwengwe, Koszela, Spetch. Subs not used: Turner, Toms.

Gosport: Steward, Kavanagh, Williams, Jordan, Morrison, Cope, Tarbuck, Borges (Hookey 55), Wooden (Vine 46), Ramos, Hollands (Sharp 87). Subs not used: Sharp, Stanley, Diaz, Hookey.

Referee: James Gould.

Attendance: 494.