Baker 6, Munn 31, 85, Burrows 42, Hoey 48, 78 pen, Chipangura 90+2, 90+3


Griffiths 30 og

WEYMOUTH exited the Dorset Senior Cup at the first-round stage following a comprehensive 8-1 defeat by a strong Wimborne Town side on the New Cuthbury 3G.

Former Weymouth winger Jack Hoey, Cam Munn and Wimborne Reserves’ star Addwell Chipangura, top scorer in the Dorset Premier League with 29 goals this season, all bagged braces.

There were solitary strikes for ex-Terras pair Harry Baker, who also saw a penalty saved, plus Matty Burrows, while Weymouth’s only effort came courtesy of George Griffiths’ own goal.

With Weymouth fielding their under-23s and under-18s, the result was always likely to emerge in Wimborne’s favour after boss Tim Sills named a vastly more experienced starting XI.

READ MORE: Ben Thomson - inside his career and the deal that took him to Weymouth

Having finally got the tie on at the fifth attempt, it took fewer than six minutes for Wimborne to open the scoring, Baker chesting down a long pass and thudding a volley beyond Weymouth keeper Callum Smalley.

Baker’s goal settled Wimborne and the striker dragged wide before Smalley produced a stunning diving save to tip the ex-Salisbury forward’s free-kick around the post.

Chipangura also blazed over and it looked briefly as if the Magpies’ profligacy would haunt them as Frankie Monk raced through and scored only for the offside flag to go up, Weymouth believing the winger to have timed his run perfectly.

But the Terras did find an equaliser on the half-hour mark as Monk’s delivery was sliced into the far corner by Griffiths.

Wimborne’s blushes lasted fewer than 60 seconds, though, as Baker looked up to see Munn in space on the right of the box before he fired past Smalley.

Were it not for Smalley, Weymouth would have trailed by more and the keeper pulled off a brave stop at the feet of Baker after excellent work from Burrows to escape on the right and lace a low cross to the back post.

With the scoreline still 2-1, Weymouth were well in touch and the Terras should have equalised on 36 minutes, only for Monk to pull an effort into the side-netting.

Burrows later flashed a shot across goal but the winger finally got the goal against his former employers, darting inside from the right and firing through Smalley’s fingertips into the bottom-right corner.

How Wimborne did not score again before the break was a mystery as Weymouth were then handed three lifelines.

Hoey and Burrows both blasted wasteful finishes over from 18 yards before Terras’ skipper Callum Small’s trip presented Baker with a chance from the penalty spot.

That was until Smalley, fresh from starring in Bridport’s 6-5 penalty shootout win over Newquay on Saturday, saved his third spot-kick in four days, leaping to his right to deny Baker on the stroke of half-time.

For all Weymouth’s resistance, Wimborne would get their fourth goal in the 48th minute as Hoey saw the ricochet from his initial shot fall kindly to him to blast high into the roof of the net, although Weymouth felt the offside flag should have been raised.

Weymouth’s first effort of the second half came from Joe Wragg, the number seven curling wide of the far post, before Baker missed a sitter of a header six yards out on the hour.

With Weymouth tiring, the luckless Small was penalised for another clear trip in the area and this time Hoey stepped up to tuck the penalty into the left corner.

Terras under-23s boss Craig Adams then introduced under-18 rising stars Ash Warwick, Ty Schneider and Callum Stanton on a night when Weymouth fully protected their first-team players.

Given Weymouth’s battling approach and considering Wimborne’s fifth had come in the 78th minute, the scoreline felt a little inflated following the next 15 minutes.

First, Munn’s brace was completed when his deflected 25-yard strike whizzed past a motionless Smalley.

Chipangura’s double then came inside the four minutes of injury-time, his opener a lovely finish at the near post underneath Smalley having beaten Wragg for pace on the left.

The goal of the game was reserved for the 93rd minute as Chipangura collected possession in space 25 yards from goal and unleashed a dipping, swerving effort that beat Smalley all ends up to complete the scoring.

Wimborne now progress to a quarter-final at Poole Town on Tuesday, March 12, while Weymouth move on to a home league game against Worthing on Saturday (3pm).

Terras: Smalley, Heaton, Armstrong, Andrews, Small (Warwick 90), Keita, Monk, J McGivney (Stanton 59), Rossiter (Schneider 74), Wragg, Pollard.