Touray 44


Jude-Boyd 28

WEYMOUTH picked up their 13th Vanarama National League South draw of the season, coming from behind to earn a 1-1 scoreline against Torquay United.

Arkell Jude-Boyd’s scrappy opener put Torquay in front before Ezio Touray’s header levelled matters before half-time.

Weymouth failed to have a shot on target in the second half as neither side could find a winner.

Looking to end a four-game winless run, Weymouth made three changes to the side that began the 3-3 draw with St Albans City in midweek.

READ MORE: Weymouth 1-1 Torquay United - how it happened

There was a debut for Bristol City loanee goalkeeper Harvey Wiles-Richards, while Jordon Thompson and Touray came back into the side.

%image('17812672', type="article-full", alt="Harvey Wiles-Richards made his debut after signing on loan from Bristol City")

Gerard Benfield and Dan Roberts dropped to the bench, with no place in the squad for Swansea loanee Harry Jones.

Winger Joel Rollinson was recalled from Beaconsfield and the final two places on the bench went to Harry Parsons and Elliott Bolton, meaning no place in the squad for ex- Torquay winger Keelan O'Connell.

All the build-up to this game centred on Weymouth’s generous financial offer to the Gulls, whose supporters’ trust will receive £5 for every away adult ticket sold.

But the Terras’ defending also proved to be generous in the opening minute as ex-Weymouth striker Brad Ash scampered through on the right after just 33 seconds, only to pull his effort well wide of the target.

Weymouth weathered a succession for Gulls corners early on, before Brandon Goodship’s tame low shot was saved by Mark Halstead for what was the first shot on target.

Torquay later showed courage to block Goodship and Malachi Linton shots in the box and at the other end Jude-Boyd gave Weymouth a warning when he ghosted in from the left to send a Jack Stobbs cross wide with a diving header.

Four minutes later, Weymouth did not heed the alarm as Wiles-Richards slipped and Thompson failed to intercept a Stobbs delivery, allowing Jude-Boyd to bundle home for 1-0.

%image('17812670', type="article-full", alt="Arkell Jude-Boyd, bottom second right, put Torquay 1-0 up")

Weymouth took time to respond but, when they did, Torquay looked vulnerable as Charlie Rowan fizzed a volley over.

And the Terras were level on 44 minutes when Goodship’s chipped free-kick deep into the Torquay box was deftly headed into the far corner by Touray for his 12th goal of the season.

Torquay again began brightly in the second half, Aaron Jarvis first denied two yards out for a corner, which he then headed powerfully at goal only for the alert Tom Bearwish to nod off the line.

Goodship later curled a free-kick wastefully over before the unmarked Bearwish came within inches of gathering Linton’s low cross as Weymouth took the initiative.

Jude-Boyd then made an important block from Goodship, who tried his luck after Leo Hamblin’s excellent cross found him in space on the right of the box.

Torquay countered after clearing the corner and Wiles-Richards showed his quality with a diving grab to deny Ash on 68 minutes.

Wiles-Richards was then lucky not to concede a penalty when involved in an altercation with Ross Marshall, the keeper wrestling the Torquay centre-back to the ground but somehow winning a free-kick.

In a rare Torquay attack, Wiles-Richards showed his mettle to punch clear under pressure with the vociferous away support baying for an error.

With both sides still finding it difficult to create clear chances, Howe took matters into his own hands with a pot-shot from range, only to watch it dribble wide of the left-hand upright.

Ash then manufactured a shot from a difficult opening, chesting down Marshall’s cross and lifting a volley over at a tight angle from 12 yards.

Torquay then created chance for 2-1 when Jarvis was fouled 30 yards from goal but Brett McGavin could not repeat his free-kick goal in the 3-1 win over the Terras in December as Wiles-Richards caught his effort.

Significantly, Bearwish was booked in the 89th minute, meaning he will be suspended for Aveley away next Saturday.

%image('17812655', type="article-full", alt="Tom Bearwish is suspended for Weymouth's next two games")

Into four added minutes, Weymouth finally made their first change as Linton came off for Roberts, but despite a late Torquay free-kick there was no budging from the 1-1 scoreline as Weymouth settled for their 13th draw of the league season.

Terras: Wiles-Richards, Howe, Hamblin, Panter, Jo Thompson, Bakrin, Rowan, Bearwish, Touray, Linton (Roberts 90+1), Goodship. Subs not used: Parsons, Rollinson, Bolton, Benfield.

Torquay: Halstead, Jude-Boyd, Marshall, Jarvis (Ofori-Acheampong 90+1), Ash, McGavin, Jenkins-Davies (Archer 81), Moxey, Tomlinson, Stobbs (Collins 72), Dawson. Subs not used: Martin, Lovett.

Referee: Lewis Sandoe.

Attendance: 2,008.