Linton 52, 75

WEYMOUTH claimed a highly impressive 2-0 win at Aveley as Malachi Linton’s double gave the Terras all three points at Parkside.

Aveley were ninth coming into this Vanarama National League South contest but 17th-placed Weymouth got their gameplan spot on.

The Terras looked the more threatening side, with home keeper Jonathan North making several outstanding saves.

Linton hit the outside of the post in the first half, while Harvey Wiles-Richards was also kept busy at the other end in an entertaining opening.

READ MORE: Aveley 0-2 Weymouth - how it happened

In the second half, Linton scored a clinical double as Aveley were punished for two defensive errors, culminating in a huge three points for Weymouth.

Weymouth made two changes to the line-up that began the 1-1 draw with Torquay United last time out.

In came Joel Rollinson for Nazir Bakrin, whose loan from Charlton expired, while Harry Parsons replaced the suspended Tom Bearwish. Teddy Howe took the captain's armband in his absence.

Dorset Echo: Teddy Howe skippered Weymouth with Tom Bearwish and Calvin Brooks outTeddy Howe skippered Weymouth with Tom Bearwish and Calvin Brooks out (Image: MARK PROBIN)

Rollinson earned his first appearance since being recalled from Beaconsfield, with his previous start coming in the 1-1 draw with Dover on December 23.

On the bench, Harry Jones returned to the squad, while Elliott Bolton has joined Basingstoke.

Dan Roberts and Gerard Benfield kept their places, Anthony Cheshire was recalled from Bracknell and Tyrique Clarke was also drafted back in.

Looking to go three games unbeaten, Weymouth made all the early running and were unlucky not to go 1-0 up in the fourth minute.

Parsons’ driven low cross picked out Ezio Touray and his goalbound effort was tipped away by Jonathan North who completed a fabulous save.

Chances flowed at either end as Kenny Aileru tested Harvey Wiles-Richards before Linton beat North to Rollinson’s through ball only to lift his lob off the outside of the post.

Eduino Vaz worked Wiles-Richards after Weymouth partially cleared a corner, while the lively Arjanit Krasniqi blasted over from 25 yards as Aveley stressed their credentials up top.

Weymouth were the more potent side, though, as Goodship was denied in a one-on-one with North who the Millers could single-handedly thank for their equilibrium.

Aveley did finish the half stronger as Rollinson was booked for kicking the ball away after the whistle and Krasniqi conjured a good low save from Wiles-Richards.

Ikechi Eze was next to test Wiles-Richards with a wicked bending shot that brought out the best save yet from the Bristol City loanee.

Dorset Echo: Harvey Wiles-Richards was impressive once more for WeymouthHarvey Wiles-Richards was impressive once more for Weymouth (Image: MARK PROBIN)

His efforts were rewarded after half-time as Weymouth took the lead in the 52nd minute.

Goodship was the spark, dispossessing the sleepy Aileru in a dangerous position and laying off to Linton who fired through the fingertips of North to end the goalkeeper’s resistance.

Weymouth lived a charmed life on the hour when Wiles-Richards produced a superb reaction save from Charlee Hughes before Jaden Jones was denied on the line.

After that brief double scare, Weymouth weathered a couple of Aveley corners as the hosts chased an equaliser with little luck.

With Weymouth retreating ever deeper, manager Bobby Wilkinson freshened things up with a double change in the 66th minute as Jones and Roberts replaced Touray and Parsons.

Weymouth nearly gifted Aveley an equaliser when Jordon Thompson’s sliced clearance teed up Hughes, only for Wiles-Richards to make another crucial stop.

Weymouth broke seconds later as Roberts set Rollinson through but the winger dithered and allowed Vaz to get back for a marvellous recovery tackle.

However, the Terras would go 2-0 up in the 75th minute via the simplest of methods as Roberts won a flick-on to send Linton through for an emphatic finish beyond the helpless North.

Dorset Echo: Malachi Linton celebrates his second goal at AveleyMalachi Linton celebrates his second goal at Aveley (Image: MARK PROBIN)

Another simple ball cut open the dispirited Aveley defence moments later but this time North shovelled clear Linton’s first-time shot.

Aveley shuffled through three changes in a bid to haul themselves level and were unfortunate to see Eze’s 30-yard snapshot crash off the bar.

Meanwhile, Linton appeared to pick up a knock and was denied a hat-trick as Clarke came on.

Weymouth did not have another major chance to defend in the closing stages as Aveley drew a blank in front of goal for the second straight home game.

Aveley: North, Ring, Vaz, Eze, Terry, J Jones, Krasniqi (Brown 80), De-Graft (Kyei 82), Aileru (Ogunrinde 76), Hughes. Subs not used: Yates, Gibbs.

Terras: Wiles-Richards, Howe, Hamblin, Panter, Jo Thompson, Goodship, Linton (Clarke 82), Parsons (Roberts 66), Touray (Jones 66), Rollinson, Rowan. Subs not used: Benfield, Cheshire.

Referee: Callum Fisk

Attendance: 458.