WEYMOUTH's Vanarama National League South match with arch-rivals Yeovil Town was abandoned after 77 minutes.

The Terras led 1-0 thanks to Dan Roberts' fine finish in the 32nd minute.

However, due to a medical emergency the game was first delayed and then abandoned following a 42-minute break in play.

READ MORE: Weymouth 1-0 Yeovil Town (match abandoned) - how it happened

Prior to the match, Mark Molesley was unveiled as Weymouth’s new manager to rapturous applause from the home fans.

Interim boss Jason Matthews oversaw proceedings, though, opting for one change to the side that began the 1-1 draw with Bath on Friday.

Joel Rollinson, who missed an open goal in the 89th minute, was preferred to the benched Keelan O'Connell.

New signing Ben Winterburn was named on the bench, at the expense of Anthony Cheshire who missed out from the 16. Ezio Touray, Gerard Benfield and Harry Jones completed the bench.

Understandably, given the magnitude of this game, both sides took their time to settle in the first half.

Yeovil’s Morgan Williams had the first sight of goal 12 minutes in, failing to control a difficult rising header, but Weymouth responded with a strong spell.

Intricate play from Brandon Goodship and Harry Parsons, ending with the former flicking back to Tom Bearwish, forced a brave block from Charlie Cooper on 20 minutes.

Weymouth were now growing in confidence as Rollinson nutmegged Matt Worthington before drawing a foul from Brookyln Genesini, who earned the game’s first caution.

From the free-kick, Goodship teed up Charlie Rowan whose downward header worked Yeovil keeper Joe Day low to his left.

Yeovil broke upfield from that chance and saw strong appeals for a penalty waved away as Jordan Young tangled with Bearwish.

But Weymouth continued to fashion the clearer openings as Rollinson and Roberts combined to find Bearwish unmarked, only for the Terras’ skipper to snatch at a difficult left-footed volley.

And, deservedly, Weymouth claimed the lead in the 32nd minute.

Goodship’s clever infield cross picked out the run of Roberts who was completely unmarked. The striker chested down and struck a sweet left-footed shot into the far corner to send the Weymouth fans wild.

Yeovil were meanwhile dealt a blow as Jordan Stevens went off injured, replaced by striker Rhys Murphy.

Treatment for his injury called for an action-packed three added minutes as Rowan saw a firm header well saved by Day, before Cooper blazed a header over after fine work by Genesini on the Yeovil right.

But Weymouth took a deserved lead into the break and all expectation was for a vastly improved Yeovil side in the second period.

Mark Cooper brought on ex-Weymouth winger Sam Pearson for Olly Thomas at the break but Yeovil continued to struggle, Cooper booked for a foul on Bearwish and Goodship slamming the free-kick into the base of the wall.

Yeovil then threatened with a set-play of their own, Frank Nouble heading across goal and sparking a manic scramble with Murphy denied and Leo Hamblin clearing.

Hamblin then fired tamely at Day a minute later but Yeovil were now motoring as Rowan upended Genesini for a free-kick, Young blasting into the wall.

Harvey Wiles-Richards, a spectator up to 65 minutes, then superbly denied the clean-through Nouble, sticking a leg out to concede a corner amid deafening appeals for a Yeovil penalty.

Weymouth made two changes in response, Goodship and Roberts replaced by Touray and O’Connell with 73 minutes gone.

Cooper fired over before both sets of players were taken off the pitch in the 77th minute due to a medical emergency in the crowd.

The game was initially ‘delayed’ at 2.53pm with 77 minutes gone, before an air ambulance landed on the pitch, dropped off medics, and left the playing field.

However, it became clear play could not continue and the match was abandoned after a 42-minute break.

Terras: Wiles-Richards, Howe, Hamblin, Panter, Thompson, Bearwish, Roberts, Goodship (Touray 70), Rollinson, Parsons, Rowan. Subs not used: Benfield, Jones, O'Connell, Winterburn.

Yeovil: Day, Williams, Wannell, Stevens (Murphy 40), Worthington, Young, Genesini, C Cooper, Nouble, Foulston, Thomas (Pearson 46). Subs not used: Morgan, Lo-Everton, Fisher.

Referee: Liam Corbett.

Attendance: 4,712.