Roberts 34


Holmes 36, Pendlebury 75

WEYMOUTH ended their season with a 2-1 defeat to 10-man Farnborough at the Bob Lucas Stadium.

Dan Roberts’ opener was quickly cancelled out by Ricky Holmes and a red card for Edon Pruti failed to stop Farnborough’s charge to victory as the Yellows won it thanks to Olly Pendlebury’s 75th-minute goal.

The loss means boss Mark Molesley is still searching for his first win since rejoining the club. He made two changes to the line-up that began the 0-0 draw with Truro on Thursday.

Harvey Wiles-Richards replaced Gerard Benfield in goal and Joel Rollinson came in for Olu Durojaiye in midfield.

READ MORE: Weymouth 1-2 Farnborough - how it happened

Durojaiye was absent from the squad completely as Weymouth named only three additional subs to sit alongside Benfield.

Frankie Monk retained his place and there was a surprise spot for Josh McQuoid as he continues his comeback from treatment for sarcoma.

Harry Parsons was a late addition to the line-up, with Charlie Rowan withdrawn having been named in the starting XI.

The opening 25 minutes carried a distinct end-of-season feel to it, even though Farnborough needed a win to maintain slim hopes of reaching the play-offs.

Weymouth conceded the first shot on target when Boro’s Joe Haigh mugged Joel Rollinson of possession and curled straight at Wiles-Richards 12 minutes in.

Millar Matthews-Lewis was then guilty of a horrendous miss from six yards, air-kicking a delicious pullback from the right byline.

Holmes blasted another decent opening well over for Boro but Weymouth began to pick up their level, culminating in the first goal on 34 minutes.

Brandon Goodship intercepted a loose pass in the Boro half, almost tripping over, before chipping Roberts through on goal.

The forward still had plenty to do, chesting the ball into space and tapping a cheeky shot through the legs of the onrushing keeper Jack Turner, shaving the post on its way home for 1-0.

Weymouth led for fewer than two minutes when a miscommunication at the back committed Wiles-Richards, allowing Holmes to spin and lob the keeper with an exceptional finish from 25 yards.

The teams were level at the break, after which Farnborough could have no complaints when they went down to 10 men in the very first minute of the second half.

Pruti’s reckless aerial challenge clattered into Ezio Touray and the midfielder, after referee Callum Fisk consulted with the linesman, was shown a straight red.

Boro showed plenty of heart when a man light and half-time sub Connor Cullen, on for Matthews-Lewis, slammed a deflected shot into the side-netting with Ollie Robinson nodding the corner over.

In the 65th minute, Holmes headed at Wiles-Richards during a minute’s applause for Burt Hilton, a Terras fan who sadly passed away this month.

Weymouth then had three big opportunities to get themselves ahead as Roberts sliced over.

Seconds later, he then had another opening with more space and time, forcing Turner into a parry from 20 yards and Touray, following in, attempted to wrong-foot the keeper with his finish, only to be denied by an outstretched paw.

Farnborough stuck to their task doggedly and appeared the fresher team, Cullen blazing a good chance over.

However, the Yellows got what proved to be the winner when Pendlebury lashed home in off the post for a goal that incensed the home faithful who were baying for a foul in the build-up.

Wiles-Richards had to deny number three in the 79th minute as Jordan Norvillle-Williams escaped to the byline on the break.

Weymouth tired noticeably in the final 10 minutes but there was a lovely moment for McQuoid, who came on for Rollinson, along with Monk for Parsons.

Weymouth, however, could not conjure a clear chance at the death, despite Wiles-Richards going up for a free-kick in stoppage-time.

It appeared Weymouth’s exertions at Gloucester against Truro 48 hours earlier caught up with them as they were sent to defeat, finishing 15th in the table.

Terras: Wiles-Richards, Hamblin, Thompson, Jones, O'Connell, Bearwish, Roberts, Goodship, Rollinson (McQuoid 82), Touray, Parsons (Monk 82). Sub not used: Benfield. 

Farnborough: Turner, Norville-Williams, Robinson, Hollis, Pruti, Haigh (Fearn 54), Young, Pendlebury, Clark, Holmes (Mullins 82), Matthews-Lewis (Cullen 46). Subs not used: Kasimu, Saied.

Referee: Callum Fisk.

Attendance: 1,311.