STURMINSTER Newton United completed the league and cup double after a 2-1 victory over Wimborne Town Reserves in the DPL Cup final at Portland’s Camp & Satherley Stadium.

The Cherries emerged triumphant on a fine afternoon on the island, around 200 spectators witnessing a tactical match edged by the north Dorset side.

It was a game of contrasting styles, the neat football from Wimborne and the effective long ball from Sturminster Newton, both teams playing to their strengths.

Stur took the lead in the sixth minute, George Coleman was found in room with a long ball down the left and in taking on Tim Weeks the Wimborne defender tripped him for a penalty.

READ MORE: Sturminster Newton seal Dorset Premier League title

Coleman got up and sent keeper Ben Rodwell the wrong way with his spot-kick to put Sturminster 1-0 up.

Back came Wimborne playing some attractive football and in the 12th minute, the ball found Chipangura out on the left in space, he went past Billy Bright and played a one-two and was brought down by Nick Thomson.

Addwell Chipangura duly scored from the spot, beating keeper Theo Crane for 1-1.

Crane’s long kicks from the back were where the main Sturminster threats were coming from, together with corners which Wimborne were struggling to defend.

Coleman went close again in the 22nd minute, hooking just wide from 20 yards with a volley, and just three minutes later Nick Hewlett headed over from a corner.

In the 28th minute Ashley Clarke headed against the crossbar with everyone well beaten.

Cherries were able to break up the Magpies’ play, meaning Wimborne just could not get a foothold in the game.

There was a spell of ill-discipline from the 33rd minute, two Sturminster players booked before Jack Atkins was sin-binned for back chat and Wimborne’s Kelly received a yellow.

Wimborne’s momentum broken once more, Chipangura went close in the 39th minute before half-time.

Wimborne had the wind at their backs in the second half and for 20 minutes they began to dominate proceedings, Dan Kelly went close with a drive from distance in the 51st minute and Luke Sheehy had a shot, again from distance that was comfortable for Crane.

Thomson picked up a booking in the 62nd minute and from the resulting, well-worked free-kick, Chipangura brought out the save of the match, Crane getting down well to parry the shot on to the post and out for a corner.

Unfortunately for Wimborne, this was their best spell and Sturminster showed their physical strength and bullied their way back into the game.

The deciding goal of this cup tie came in the 72nd minute.

Wimborne were passive in defence and the ball was crossed from the right finding Elliot Bevis in so much space.

Two defenders managed to block his first effort at goal but they were taken out of the game by the rebound which fell to Bevis again and he stroked the ball calmly into the far corner, giving Rodwell no chance.

Wimborne went to the bench, they huffed and they puffed but the rearguard of Thomson and Neil Sweatman were comfortably coping with anything Wimborne could throw at them.

There were times when Wimborne had the opportunity to shoot but they saw those chances pass by being too intricate and this may have contributed to their downfall as Sturminster completed the double.