STRUGGLING Weymouth are rooted to the bottom of the Blue Square South table after falling to two second-half goals at Thurrock.

Josh Klein-Davis had given the Terras the lead after a quarter-of-an-hour but they could not hold on to their lead and suffered their sixth defeat of the season.

Terras’ boss Matty Hale included new signing Andy Caton in his side as he made several changes to the outfit that were thrashed by Bromley last weekend.

Former Team Bath and Oxford City midfielder Caton, made his debut with Andy Harris, Scott Brice, Ian Hutchinson starting a 4-5-1 formation.

Despite the defensive formation it was the visitors who engineered the first opening when Chris Allen played Hutchinson into space. The midfielder found Klein-Davies inside the Thurrock penalty area, but the referee’s whistle brought a halt to the promising move.

Thurrock came back and were unlucky not to take the lead on seven minutes when David Bryant latched on to a cross from Matt Bodkin but his headed effort cannoned off the underside of the crossbar with Hutchinson steering the rebound to safety.

Almost immediately Caton released Dean Smith with a ball through the home defence only for an assistant’s flag to signal offside.

Weymouth took the lead in the 15th minute after Caton won a corner which Allen took. Klein-Davies rose above the defence to head home.

Within minutes a clearance from Martin Slocombe was picked up by Klein-Davies who, after spotting home keeper David Hogan well off of his line, attempted a cheeky lob from all of 45 yards however, the ball just dropped over the crossbar.

Fola Orilonishe and Paul Olima both wasted good chances for Thurrock as they shot wide of the target before Terras’ keeper Ryan Harrison held on to a fierce effort from Bodkin, at the second attempt. With the first half coming to an end Thurrock saw a second effort thud against the crossbar when Leon McKenzie let fly from the edge of the area with such power that the ball ended up going out of play for a throw-in.

Weymouth started the second period shakily and, despite having plenty of time to clear Bodkin’s cross failed to do so and allowed Leon Lalite a free shot at goal, however his effort flew well over the crossbar.

The Terras first break of the half saw Slocombe and Caton combine to travel from the edge of one penalty area to the other, but the former’s final delivery was poor and easily cleared.

Shortly after this Matt Townley and Klein-Davies combined to create room for Hutchinson, but his effort, under pressure from Flynn, was wide of the target.

Thurrock pushed forward in numbers as the half progressed, Harrison having to react quickly to steal the ball off Bodkin after a slick four-man move had left the home man free in the six- yard box. Then Hutchinson produced a superb challenge on the edge of the box to rob David Knight.

Terras’ substitute Jake Reid ran free from just inside the home half to reach the edge of the area, but his shot was weak and easily held by Hogan.

Thurrock levelled the scores in the 64th minute as Bodkin created room for McKenzie to shoot. Harrison was able to keep out the effort, but not hold on to the ball allowing Phil Anderson to slot home from close range.

This success spurred the home side on and skipper Kyle Critchell did well to steer the ball over his own crossbar under pressure from McKenzie.

Thurrock’s winning goal came in the 75th minute, but was not without its controversy.

Initially the referee had interpreted a challenge between Klein-Davies and David Knight as a foul by the Weymouth man – for which he received a yellow card much to the bemusement of the majority of the small crowd – and as Knight swung the free-kick across field Brice seemed to win the ball cleanly in a tackle with Lalitte.

The referee changed his decision from awarding an attacking throw to a free-kick following the advice of his assistant who was at least 15 yards further away from play.

Anderson took the kick and floated it into the penalty area, although the Terras half cleared, the ball fell to Matt Paine, who fired home an unstoppable dipping volley from 25 yards.

Although Hale and the Terras reverted to a 4-4-2 formation they were unable to find an equalising goal.

The closest they came was as Kenny Clark narrowly avoided heading into his own goal and Brice saw his header from Hutchinson’s corner pass just the wrong side of the upright.

Thurrock: Hogan, Andrews (Knight 52), Flynn, Swaine (Anderson 45), Clark, Paine, Bodkin, Lalite, Bryant, Olima (McKenzie 40), Orinolishe Subs not used: Gilbey, Luke Terras: Harrison, Harris, Slocombe, Critchell, Brice (Obaze 85), Allen (Reid 58), Townley, Smith, Klein-Davies, Hutchinson, Caton (Arnold 68) Subs not used: Hale, Evans