Patrick 15, 33, Marsh 37


Duff 87

COMPLACENCY got the better of the Terras on Saturday as they became only the second side this season to fall at Hitchin Road in the Evo-Stik Southern Premier.

The visitors were slow out of the blocks and paid the ultimate price for a slapdash opening 45 minutes as Jordan Patrick and Chris Marsh inspired struggling Arlesey Town to their first home win since last August, much to the disgust of Brendon King.

The Weymouth boss told Echo-sport: “This is getting a regular occurrence. We get on a nice, little run and then come away to a place like this where we should get a result and let ourselves down. But if you do not battle and put in the effort that is required that is what you get.

“Like at Hitchin Town, the plan was to go out and be nice and solid for the first 20 minutes, try and turn them, and give nothing away but we did not do that at all and paid the penalty.

“In fact, we could have been 5-0 down at half-time it was that comfortable for them.

“We then changed things around at half-time and substituted Alex Jeannin, who was struggling with blisters on both his heels, and although we competed a bit more, it was just not good enough.”

The Terras stuck with the same starting XI that began the 3-1 home victory against AFC Totton with Sam Malsom once again partnering Warren Byerley up front.

There were changes on the bench though where King and James Coutts joined Tom Manley, Matt Groves and Jamie Beasley.

One notable absentee was defender Ben Gerring who was not included in the squad due to disciplinary reasons.

Both teams entered the clash off the back of very different form. The Terras went into the game having taken 10 points from their last four while Arlesey took to the field having secured just one point from their last five.

However, it was the hosts that made the better start. Not only were they first to every loose ball and stronger in the tackle but they were also looking threatening in the final third where they deservedly broke the deadlock on 15 minutes.

Sam Poole played Patrick onside and he capitalised on a moment of hesitation from keeper Nick Jordan to slot the ball into the net with a cool finish.

It was a dreadful start by the Terras and it did not get any better with Arlesey going on to net two more before the break.

Patrick doubled the lead on 33 minutes despite Scott Dixon and Ollie Tribe’s best efforts on the goal-line to keep the ball out following a save from Jordan, before Chris Marsh raced on to a clearance and added the third just four minutes later.

Stephen Reed and Craig Duff had sent efforts off target at the other end but Town thoroughly deserved their lead at the break giving a furious King much to ponder.

Keen to put a spring in his side’s step, the Terras’ boss brought Coutts and Beasley on for Dixon and Jeannin at the start of the second half but although his side competed much better they did not pull one back until three minutes before the end when Duff headed in a cross from Reed.

Prior to that Coutts was denied by a fantastic save from Nick Bussey while Patrick went close twice to getting his hat-trick, only to be thwarted by Jordan.

Terras: Jordan, Tribe, Dixon (Coutts 46), Jeannin (Beasley 46), Poole, Napper, Reed, Tasker, Duff, Malsom, Byerley. Subs not used: Manley, King, Groves.

Arlesey: Bussey, Browne, Perpetuini, Frater, Brown, Allinson (Sinclair 79), Marsh, Bailey, Dillon, Patrick (Cole 72), Goss (Deeney 75). Subs not used: Hutchins, Osborn.

Bookings: Arlesey – Brown (foul 45).

Weymouth – Poole (foul 9).

Referee: Lloyd Wood.

Attendance: 173