DORSET 331-9 & 179-4 (11pts) drew with WALES 474-8 & 226 (12pts)

DORSET rounded off their summer with a draw against Wales in the Durant NCCA Championship clash at Wimborne.

The result leaves Luke Webb’s side fourth behind winners Cornwall in Western Division Two.

Dorset were invited to field first after losing the toss and Wales duly piled on the runs with a breathtaking batting performance.

Brad Wadlan was the star performer, smashing 134 from 138 balls including 20 boundaries and two sixes.

READ MORE: Dorset draw with Wiltshire after hectic final day

Milo Ayres, on his Wales debut, then plundered a stunning 74 from 41 balls, complete with 11 fours and two maximums, adding to a fluent 81 from opener Kurtis Marsh.

Runs continued to flow as Tegid Phillips cracked an unbeaten 52, Wales eventually reaching an imposing 474-8 from their allotted 90 overs, despite a fine 2-55 from Dorset’s Tom Varney.

Dorset responded with captain Webb’s patient 75 anchoring the innings, allowing David Scott to blast 87 from 101 balls.

However, only Sam Young (39), Alex Eckland (27) and Josh Royan (20no) returned scores of note before the innings closed on 331-9, Wales opener George Pritchard claiming 3-57.

Dorset’s bowlers were in far greater control in the Welsh second innings, dismissing the visitors for 226.

Scott (4-65) and Varney (4-59) each claimed four scalps as Wales captain Cam Herring (53no) bagged a half-century in 81 balls.

Ayres added 47 before he was trapped leg before by Scott, Dorset setting up a chase of 370 to win.

Dorset began the final innings in methodical fashion and as the day endured it became clear the victory target was in little danger.

Webb (23) and Scott (33) were dismissed, along with dangerman Young (8), as Pritchard (3-56) caused the latter two to nick behind to Herring.

However, Jacob Gordon struck a marvellous 95 from 145 balls to frustrate Wales in their bid to bowl the hosts out.

He fell painfully short of a deserved century when Pritchard had him caught behind by Herring, ending his innings at the three-hour mark.

Following his departure there were only 5.3 more overs of play as the respective captains shook hands, a draw being the only likely outcome.